3 - Long Live

I stood in the gallery of the throne room and watched the great doors, waiting. Robert was dead. Joffrey was king. And Cersei... Cersei was going to be the true power, ruling through her son as Queen Regent and shaping the Seven Kingdoms to her will. There was only one piece of the puzzle left to fall into place: Ned Stark. He needed to be dealt with before he could threaten to undo my work here thus far.

With a creak, the doors swung open, admitting Ned and, behind him, Petyr Baelish and Varys, as well as who I assumed were his men. I had done my best to learn the names and faces of the most relevant people at court in the few days I had been here, but there was only so much a person could memorize in such a short time.

"All hail His Grace, Joffrey of Houses Baratheon and Lannister, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm", the steward announced. The newcomers strode forward, clearly not intending to hail anyone.

Joffrey was the first to speak. "I command the council to make all necessary arrangements for my coronation. I wish to be crowned within the fortnight. Today I shall accept oaths of fealty from my loyal councillors."

Ned looked at the boy for a long moment before he spoke. "Ser Barristan, I believe no man here could ever question your honor." A white-haired Kingsguard looked up at his words, and Ned handed him a scroll. 

Ser Barristan inspected it and stated, "King Robert's seal, unbroken." 

I tensed. This was what it all depended on. The contents of that letter could doom the whole plan, could doom Cersei. And that could not happen. I prayed silently to the Lord as the knight began to read.

"Lord Eddard Stark is herein named Protector of the Realm, to rule as regent until the heir come of age." He looked back at the king and his mother, awaiting their verdict.

No word about Joffrey's parentage. Cersei's secret was safe. I let out a relieved breath. Now we could continue as planned.

Cersei rose. "May I see that letter, Ser Barristan?" He brought it up the dais to her, and she skimmed the contents. "Protector of the Realm", she mused, then simply tore the scroll in half. "Is this meant to be your shield, Lord Stark? A piece of paper?" She tore it up again and let the pieces sail to the floor.

"Those were the king's words", Ser Barristan argued, stunned.

"We have a new king now", Cersei countered calmly. "Lord Eddard, when we last spoke, you offered me some counsel. Allow me to return the courtesy. Bend the knee, my Lord. Bend the knee and swear loyalty to my son, and we shall allow you to live out your days in the gray waste you call home."

But, as Cersei and I had both expected he would, Ned did not take the chance he was given, not with his honor at stake. "Your son has no claim to the throne."

"Liar!", Joffrey yelled, and Cersei scoffed. "You condemn yourself with your own mouth, Lord Stark. Ser Barristan, seize this traitor." The man drew his sword.

Ned's men rushed forward to meet him. "Ser Barristan is a good man, a loyal man, do him no harm", their lord ordered, nervousness creeping into his voice. 

"You think he stands alone?", Cersei asked, and the brute with the dog helmet known as the Hound bared his steel, too.

Joffrey ordered him with a shout, "Kill him! Kill all of them, I command it!"

"Commander", Ned said, and the man beside him stood to attention. "Take the queen and her children into custody. Escort them back to the royal apartments and keep them there under guard."

"Men of the Watch", the man commanded.

"I want no bloodshed", Ned continued to Joffrey and Cersei. "Tell your men to lay down their swords and no one needs to die."