7 - Two Flowers In Bloom

I was standing in the gallery, looking out onto the Iron Throne, just as I had been last night.

I had found Cersei there, poison bottle in hand, her son on her lap, ready to lay down both their lives to spare them a worse fate when the doors had burst open and Tywin sauntered in, declaring their victory.

Now, Cersei sat beside her other son, watching him reward the battle's heroes. Sitting there as if nothing had happened, as if she hadn't been moments away from death just a few hours ago.

But then again, had she really? Could she really have died that easily, been wiped out just like that, when she was R'hllor's chosen one? I had believed it then, but... of course Azor Ahai would be protected from a premature death. We were all led by R'hllor on our paths to make her achieve that destiny. Not just me, not just the other priests - the Lord had a plan for us all. And Tywin's last-minute intervention had been no lucky coincidence, but a calculated part of the plan. How had I ever let such doubt overcome my mind in the first place?

The hero of the day now strode down the path toward the throne on the back of his white horse, the faint smell of dung wafting over from the door. The echoing clop-clop-clop of his horse's hooves was the only sound. Of course. Who other than Tywin Lannister would dare make such a self-glorifying entrance?

"I, Joffrey of the House Baratheon, First of my Name, the rightful King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, do hereby proclaim my grandfather, Tywin Lannister, the savior of the city and the Hand of the King."

Tywin had reined in his horse in front of the throne and was presented with the hand-and-sword badge while the people applauded.

He inclined his head. "Thank you, Your Grace." He turned his horse back around and left the hall.

Cersei stared after him, presumably also remembering last night's events.

"Lord Petyr Baelish, step forward", Joffrey continued.

The man knelt.

"For your good service and ingenuity in uniting the Houses Lannister and Tyrell, I declare that you shall be granted the castle of Harrenhal, with all its attendant lands and incomes, to be held by your sons and grandsons from this day until the end of time."

"You honor me beyond words, Your Grace. I shall have to acquire some sons and grandsons."

Scattered laughter arose among the audience, and Joffrey himself allowed himself a light chuckle, too.

"Ser Loras Tyrell", he called, and a curly-haired knight stepped forward, kneeling where Baelish had moments before. He had been there last night, too - rumor said his army had been what turned the tide. "Your House has come to our aid. The whole realm is in your debt, none more so than I. If your family would ask anything of me, ask it, and it shall be yours."

"Your Grace", Loras said. "My sister Margaery, her husband was taken from us before-" He swallowed, seeming to feel the need to rephrase. "She remains innocent", he finally continued. "I would ask you to find it in your heart to do us the great honor of joining our Houses."

Joffrey's gaze shifted to the girl. "Is this what you want, Lady Margaery?"

She stepped forward, all fluid grace. "With all my heart, Your Grace. I have come to love you from afar. Tales of your courage and wisdom have never been far from my ears, and those tales have taken root deep inside of me."

"I, too, have heard tales of your beauty and grace, but the tales do not do you justice, my lady", Joffrey said, making her smile. "It would be an honor to return your love", he continued, "but I am promised to another. A king must keep his word."