Chapter 3: The Tributes and the Rules

A/N: THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY READ THIS. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! HOPE YOU LIKE THIS NEXT PART. BTW, IT'D BE AWESOME IF YOU GAVE ME SOME FEEDBACK OR ANY COMMENTS! THANKS!
..........................
"Okay, so, from Hufflepuff." Miss Pulchra picked out three pictures from the pile and put it on the mahogany, painted pink coffee table. "First one. Anyone know her or her strengths?" She pointed to a curly brown haired girl. "Oh, I know her," Katie Bell said. "That's Elizabeth Markson. She's way nice. Her best subject was Potions when we were at Hogwarts." "Well Potions isn't that useful out there, is it?" Hermione asked. Miss Pulchra thought about it. "Well, actually Hermione, I believe that since this competition involves magic, there may be supplies for potions." She frowned. "Didn't I tell you that when I was explaining the rules?" "Er...you didn't tell us any rules," Harry said. Miss Pulchra looked surprised. "I didn't? Oh my, pardon me, I'll get right on that." Hermione nearly groaned. They could die in less than one week and the person that was supposed to help them forgot the most vital things. She and Harry exchanged a look and she could tell that he was thinking the same thing.
Miss Pulchra held a foot long piece of parchment. "Ahem. The Ministry of Magic is trying to find very powerful wizards out of the weak, so it is declared that there will be the Wizarding Games, in which the four houses of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang will each send 3 students, making it a total of 18 students, to fight to the death in an arena in which only two shall come out alive. The rules are:
1: Your wand is allowed, but will be charmed to not allow you to perform Unforgivable curses. If that charm doesn't work and you do it in the arena, you will be executed on the spot.
2: You'll be given three days to prepare. There are spellbooks and stations to learn how to use weapons, distinguish edible plants, and other such survival skills.
3: There will be sponsors, people who will give money to your mentor, which is me, to let me buy something that I believe you really need at that time. You can get sponsors buy making people like you, which can be during the arena, the interviews, or the tribute parade.
4: In the beginning of the games, everything tribute will be at the arena, arranged in a circle around the Cornucopia, a large golden horn that has many supplies that you need, as well as things scattered around it. You will have your wand with you. If you lose your wand, it is not our issue. There will be a countdown, in which you must stay at your plate, before you can run wherever you like. If you step off your plate before the countdown is done, you will be blown up.
5: You will know if someone is dead if you hear or see the red sparks. Please note that the red sparks does not mark where that person died, it is just set off in that particular place. The red sparks may sound like a canon. "
Miss Pulchra rolled up the parchment. "And I think that's it," she said cheerfully. "Any questions?" Harry looked furious. "So we can't use the killing curse, which at least gives a not painful death, but instead have to bother to use a knife to stab someone." Miss Pulchra frowned. "Unforgivable curses land you in Azkaban," she snapped. "Then what does murder do?" Hermione was disgusted. Then Katie, who was usually quiet spoke. "I suppose no one gets thrown in Azkaban for killing someone, do they?" Miss Pulchra swallowed. "You are not murdering someone. You are doing a service for the Ministry by getting rid of the weak." "Then, miss Pulchra, why aren't the adults in the games?" Harry snapped. Miss Pulchra grit her teeth. "I am trying to help you. I will be the one you will rely on to receive materials in the arena. I will talk to sponsors and try to get them to like you even more. What I do may save your life." She threw down the pile of pictures of all the tributes on the table. "You can look at these on your own. I'm going to take a nap on the couch over there." She pointed to the couch furthest away from them and left.
Harry, Hermione, and Katie sat there silently for a few moments. Finally, Hermione picked them up. "I guess we should look at them." They started with Hufflepuff. Harry read the captions of each picture. "So, Elizabeth Markson, graduated two years ago. Jarold Fantz, currently a fifth year. Erik Markson, fourth year." He looked at the others. "So there's a brother and sister in the games." Hermione looked sad. "I feel so bad for them. And Erik's only fourteen. He can't be that advanced." Katie swallowed and picked up the set for Ravenclaw. "I have a cousin in Ravenclaw." Hermione put her arm around Katie and read them. "Seraphina Lansky, sixth year. Luna...Lovegood,...seventh year." Hermione stopped and looked at Harry. Harry nodded. He took a breath. "Keep reading." "And, Barnes...Bell, sixth year. Oh, I'm so sorry, Katie." Hermione hugged her. Harry put his arm around his former Quidditch teammate. "It'll be alright," he said, lying through his teeth.
They read through the rest of the them. From Durmstrang, Kingston Mahaylic, Inkaram Pushouski, and Monter Butch. From Beauxbatons, Christelle DuPont, Aimée Rochè, and Chantal Madeux. When Harry read Slytherin's tributes, he grit his teeth. The tributes were, Gregory Goyle, graduated a year ago, Pansy Parkinson, graduated a year ago, and Quentin McVey, fourth year. Everything that had happened and was happening hit Harry. He may not even live to see his nineteenth birthday. There was a chance that he would never see Ginny, Ron, Neville, and so many others again. He could die within a week. Harry clenched his fist. He wasn't done living. Not yet. All the other tributes shouldn't be done. The oldest were about nineteen, and the youngest were about fourteen. He was going to make sure that this would never happen.
Miss Pulchra got up and clapped her hands. "We're here!"