Chapter 8: The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

Sophomore Year Homecoming 

This year was the first time I decided to go to homecoming. After saving up, I finally had enough money to buy my own ticket, a beautiful dress, and all the makeup I needed. I even managed to borrow my mom's car and drove myself to the event, which felt like a small victory in itself. I knew a bunch of my friends were coming, but I wasn't sure where we'd meet. My high school was giant, people would call it the castle because of the structure. 

As I walked up the stairs, the first person I spotted was Selena. Her hair stood out in the sea of people, a striking feature I once loved but now found simply annoying. It was a stark reminder of how our relationship had changed. Despite my mixed feelings, I chose to approach her.

"Hi Selena, you look cute. I love your dress!" I genuinely admired her dress, and she did look cute. I wasn't the malicious type; overall, I was just feeling hurt.

"Thanks Nella! You look great too!"

"Thanks girl, do you mind waiting in line with me? I don't want to wait outside alone. I'm pretty sure we're suppose to buy tickets in that booth over there right?"

Selena pauses then says "Um, I came here with someone so I can't wait with you but I'm pretty sure I saw Australia here somewhere. I'll go get her for you!"

For a moment, I felt guilty for resenting Selena; after all, she was a good friend most of the time. As she leaves, her silhouette fades from view. The line to the ticket booth is long, and the chill of the night air seeps through. Standing alone for what feels like an eternity, I suddenly feel a warm embrace from behind. It's Pretty. 

"Hey boo, you're looking mighty fine can I take you out to dinner?" she winks.

"Yes you can sexy mama, but only if I can take you home afterwards" I laugh loudly and Pretty giggles as she twirls me around.

"You look gorgeous Pretty, your hair looks majestic."

Pretty's mom usually did her hair and given Pretty's abundant hair, her styles were consistently intricate and stunningly beautiful. 

"Thank you! I'm so excited for tonight, this is the first time we're going to hoco together!"

I smile as we hug, but suddenly I feel Pretty's body tense up, causing me to jolt out of our hug.

"Pretty? What's wrong? Are you ok?"

Her eyes face the booth, she says nothing, only pointing at the direction towards the entrance. As I turn around, my eyes widen in disbelief. My body stiffens, freezing in place. There, standing side by side, are Selena and Phoenix. His arm is draped casually around her shoulder, and she reciprocates by wrapping her arm around his waist. I've never been so gobsmacked that I actually had to use the word gobsmacked. I stand there, staring for a while, blinking repeatedly to confirm that what I'm seeing is real. Unfortunately, it is. Pretty gently wraps her hand around mine, offering support.

"Nella, don't worry about it. I'm sure they just came here as friends," Pretty reassures me, though even she doesn't seem convinced by her own words.

"I don't care. I'm not bothered by it. He's not mine," I say, not only to reassure Pretty but also to remind myself that Phoenix was, in fact, not mine.

The line moved slightly, and every now and then, I'd steal glances at Selena and Phoenix, who still clung to each other. My jaw began to ache from the strain of gritting my teeth in silent frustration.

"Nella! Pretty! Over here!" James's voice breaks through the tension, and he waves excitedly as he climbs up the stairs, with Cooper following closely behind.