Linger: Chapter 11

When we arrived I was in awe, his house was two stories tall. He lived in a nice neighborhood, something out of a movie where houses are surrounded by white picket fences. When I entered I scanned the entire room as much as I could. The kitchen was giant, it was its own room, and it wasn't connected to the dining room like it was at my house. There was a room for everything, and the living room was the biggest. I was disappointed I wasn't able to see his room since we were only hanging out in his living room. When I sat down Charles sat to my left and Phoenix sat to my right. It felt sort of awkward but I tried to fight through it and pretend I didn't really care.

When we arrived, I was in awe. His house was two stories tall, situated in a picturesque neighborhood that looked like it was straight out of a movie, complete with a white picket fence. As I entered, I scanned the room as much as I could. The kitchen was enormous, a separate room not connected to the dining room. There was a room for everything, and the living room was the biggest of all. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't see his room since we were only hanging out in the living room. When I sat down, Charles sat to my left and Phoenix to my right. It felt a bit awkward, but I tried to push through it and pretend I didn't really care.

"Let's watch something." Said Phoenix.

As he scrolled through the apps, I tried to sneak peeks at what he was watching. There were various genres like anime, romance, and action shows and movies. I made a mental note of the titles to save and watch later.

As I sat back, I noticed Phoenix's arm resting on the couch near the back of my head. The thought of his arms around me was exciting. After a while, Phoenix chose a movie, though I can't recall which one because everything felt like a blur. My attention was fixed on his home and the lingering scent of his cologne. His smell felt like home, making me feel sleepy as my eyes grew heavy. Phoenix's scent was my favorite—sweet and musky, reminiscent of freshly wet pine wood.

"Wouldn't James be upset if he knew you were with two guys?" asked Phoenix.

"Is it forbidden for a girl to hang out with boys? Also if James were upset that's something to do with himself internally, and he would have to work on that." I crossed my arms, trying not to pout.

"I guess you're right, but if I were him I wouldn't let you out of my sight." Sighs Phoenix.

"Are we living in the 1900s? Nobody can tell me what I can and can't do" I say scowling at Phoenix. 

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"So how is it going with him?" Phoenix asked. 

"Not too good," I said, surprised at how abruptly the truth came out. "I mean, it's usually good, just not right now."

"Do you need any advice?" Phoenix's lips curled into a smirk, more mocking than genuine.

"From you? No thanks! All I can say is that I'm thinking of breaking up. I can't deal with extreme jealousy, especially when it comes to seeing my friends."

"Ah, so he doesn't like that you hang out with us?" Phoenix's expression held a hint of superiority.

"No, not necessarily you, but he's quite jealous of Charles," I said, glancing over at Charles and laughing.

"What? Me?" Charles let out a laugh I'd never heard before. "He has nothing to worry about. I would never do anything with someone who's taken."

"And I would never give you the opportunity, even if you did," I laughed, watching Charles' mouth close into a tight smile. The vibe in the room became stale.

After a while, Charles and Phoenix began bickering. From what I had observed, Phoenix tended to pick on his friends whenever he felt insecure or inadequate. Sometimes he even commented on their insecurities. This behavior was new to me, and it bothered me to see Phoenix stoop so low.

"You've gained weight, haven't you?" Phoenix snickered at Charles.

"Fuck you" says Charles.

"Don't listen to him, Charles. Most girls prefer guys who are buff. I think you gained muscle, and some people feel threatened or envious of that," I say. 

"I'm not envious" says Phoenix.

"Did I say you were? Or did you jump to that conclusion because it applies to you?"

Phoenix fell silent, and Charles chuckled.

"Thanks, Antonella. The only opinion I care about is yours," Charles said, smiling and letting out a small laugh.

I sat back and felt an arm touch my bare back. Glancing over to Charles, I realized both of his hands were on his lap. A shiver ran down my spine when I realized it was Phoenix's hand. The hair on my arms raised, making it hard to keep still. I turned to Phoenix, but before I could say anything, my phone rang—it was my mom.

"Hola hija, it's getting late, come home for dinner." 

"Si mami, just give me 20 minutes and I'll be home soon. Te amo." 

"I love you too, hija see you soon and drive safe" 

I tucked my phone into my pocket and let out a big sigh. "Boys, I have to go," I said, looking back and forth at both Charles and Phoenix with a smile. Pushing off of Phoenix's leg to get up, I sensed him grounding his stance further. I smiled at him and started walking towards the side door.

"Hold on, I'll walk you out" Phoenix starts walking me towards the door and opens it for me. Before he can shut the door Charles comes out. I felt somewhat annoyed since the thought of being alone with Phoenix was exciting. I stood there thinking of all the things Phoenix could possibly want to say. I knew he wanted to say something but the thing about Phoenix was that he was never willing to let his guard down in front of his friends. 

"Hold on, I'll walk you out," says Phoenix, leading me towards the door and opening it for me. Before he could shut the door, Charles came out. I felt somewhat annoyed. I stood there, contemplating all the things Phoenix might want to say. I knew he wanted to say something, but the thing about Phoenix was that he was never willing to let his guard down in front of his friends.

"Charles go back inside for a second" whispers Phoenix. 

"No, what for?" 

I walk slower, hoping Charles listens obediently. He protests. "No, she came here to hangout with me if anything I should walk her to her car." 

Phoenix sighs and waits near the door. I hear Charles walking behind me "Hey, sorry, should I have went back inside?" 

I turn and say "No oh my god, you saved me. Thank you." I can't seem to look at Charles in the eye. 

"Ok, well let me know when you get home, I think I'm going to stay here a while longer but I'll see you tomorrow at school" Charles waves and smiles. I feel a sense of guilt for not wanting him to come out. Maybe it was for the better. 

The next day Charles sends me a vague text

Charles: I'm nixs friend so I shouldn't be doing this. I have a serious feeling that Nix is into you. If you do decide to break up with James. Please don't go for Nix. He's my friend but he's an ass. Don't tell him I said any of this" 

I didn't respond, I didn't want clarity. All I knew was that there was a possibility that Phoenix liked me. I didn't question why Charles went out of his way to warn me about how much of an ass Phoenix is, I didn't really care. I just wanted Phoenix.