Chapter 2: Hypothesis

The world fades into a blur as you hastily walk with your arms crossed, ignoring the several Reserve Course students bowing respectfully and stopping to admire you. To newer students, this would have given you quite an infamous reputation; after all, it was your aloofness and naturally stoic expression that made numerous Ultimates—and even your own opponents from the election 4 years ago—feel a sense of fear upon proximity to you.

A sharp gaze paired with a cold, impenetrable demeanor; it was almost as if you were a carbon copy—a duplicate molded into the likeness of the very Prime Minister you hated.

"The Prime Minister..." You thought to yourself, maintaining a neutral expression as you made your way to the gymnasium. You remembered the first year you served your term—the distorting contrast between before and after. The Prime Minister, young as he was, used to be so reserved; not speaking unless talked to, smiling only in photos—yet even then, he would only muster a sly smirk.

You would often find him in the library, quietly enjoying mystery novels with a cup of coffee beside him, his favorite spot being the 4th sofa next to the window overlooking the river. You caught him smiling several times whenever he gazes outside—a warm, almost serene look on his usually demeaning expression. You have always wanted to join him, yet you felt it was improper to disturb such peace. "Besides," you thought to yourself, "I'm sure he would give me that same, apathetic look of pity he usually looks at me with."

Shaking your head in dismay and sighing, your mind began to wander further as you slowly approached the gymnasium, not noticing Supreme General Kiyotaka Ishimaru saluting at you and waving furiously.

"Vice Chancellor! Over here!" He beckons, his demeanor reminiscent of a golden retriever wagging its tail. You give him a polite bow, allowing yourself to smile a little as Taka politely bows before you as well.

"The Prime Minister tasked me with joining you for today's rounds!" He excitedly exclaimed, punching his fists in the air in triumph. For as long as you've known him, you were certain of a particular fact; Taka's overly expressive and exaggerated actions would never change. You smiled and gestured for him to join you.

As the two of you walk, you chuckle and give him a playful punch in the arm. "You seem a bit too excited with that information, Supreme General. Care to explain?"

"Well, it's only reasonable!" He smiles, turning to face you with an expression akin to that of an ecstatic child. "It's always an honor to walk with the Vice Chancellor! Especially one who was personally endorsed by Miss Ludenberg..." he remarked, the tone of his voice almost teasing.

You elbowed Taka and laughed, stopping completely and crossing your arms. "That's big coming from someone who kept discouraging us from 'engaging in provocatively immature acts of casino-fare' back then." You replied, making air quotes with a smirk. The Supreme General only chuckled in reply, his face returning to that of his normally serious expression.

"You know, you didn't have to do all that fancy betting for me." He replied, averting his gaze and continuing to walk, acting as if he was guilty of a crime. "I'm perfectly capable of taking insults at face value."

"It's no problem man." You smiled warmly, patting him on the back in a reassuring manner. "That's what friends do. Besides..." You said softly, adjusting your glasses, "I'm sure you'd do the same for me."

Taka smiles before pausing in his tracks, his back turned away from you. "That was...2 years ago, wasn't it?" He replied, continuing to walk before stopping and waiting once more for you to catch up.

"Right." You replied. "Though it feels as if it's been 4 years already..."

You sighed, crossing your arms and looking out to the open campus and basketball court, your gaze fixated on a faraway nostalgia. Taka notices this and slows down, seemingly joining you in pondering the future, his eyes darting towards the horizon.