Part 5

Hayden PoV

Noa was gone when I woke up in her bedroom. I grabbed the bundle of my clothes I had and walked into the kitchen. Noa's mom sat at the kitchen table "morning Hayden, Noa left early for track practice. Coffee?" I look at the table seeing the mug waiting for me, trying to ignore the hurt in my chest "Mrs olivar I really should be heading home ...." "Have a coffee with me first?" "Yeh ok". I sit down opposite Mrs olivar as she pours me a mug of coffee, placing my clothes pile on the seat beside me. "Thank you Mrs olivar" she passes me the steaming hot mug as my chair wobbles. "You don't need to thank me Hayden, I should be thanking you. For staying with Noa last night and making sure she got home ok. Your a good kid Hayden, sorry about the chair, I'm not very handy with things and you know ... there's nobody around the house to do small diy plus very little money so ..." Marjorie lifts her mug to her lips as I do and we sit in comfortable silence for a minute, drinking our coffees. "I remember the day your mom told us she was pregnant with you two like it was yesterday. We all met up for a coffee and she spilled the news, I'd never seen your mom so happy. Although things weren't going well with your father and we both know how that turned out, she knew she had you two. Your mom and Imogen were so similar in so many ways but she had a soft spot for you Hayden." I take a deep breath feeling emotional talking about my mom. "It's weird, I remember you all coming round to the house but you never brought Noa. I mean I only recognised you last night, I didn't know it was you that was Noa's mom. Same with the other three girls, iv seen Faran's mom, mouse's and obviously tabby's mom now that we live there but it's like yous kept us all away from each other" I look at the woman waiting for some kind of explanation. "We were all close in high school, then we drifted apart, we checked in with each other but that was all Hayden. We all took different paths but we all still looked out for each other, we had a bond that couldn't be broken" Marjorie replies looking down into her mug. I can't shake the feeling she's telling me half a story. I go to ask another question, dig a little deeper when Marjorie talks first "I'm glad Noa has you Hayden. Your a good kid. All I want for her is happiness". This takes me back a bit, I wasn't expecting it, she said it with such conviction. "Thank you Mrs olivar, Noa's amazing and I hope to hold onto her friendship, do you mind if I have a look at this chair for you? I helped my mom around the house before she ... you know" it's not a lie, I'd rather have Noa as a friend than not at all. "I told you already Hayden, it's Marjorie. If you wouldn't mind having a look at the chair that would be amazing. Thank you Hayden" I smile back at Mrs.... Marjorie and finish my coffee. Marjorie hands me the few tools they have here and I get to work on fixing the chair for her. Once I'm done I show my work to Marjorie who is highly delighted with it "Hayden thank you so much. Your really handy huh?" She laughs whilst punching my shoulder lightly. "Had to be Marjorie, many a flat pack built by me at moms house" we both laugh "if there's anything else you need me to have a look at then please just let me know". I start to tidy away the tools and hand them back to Marjorie "I can't pay you Hayden, I barely make bough to keep this house afloat ..." "it's pro bono, you were my moms friend and Noa's ... my friend so please it really isn't an issue. Just let me know what you want me to have a look at and I'll come over whenever I'm free" I smile at the woman as I grab my pile of clothes to leave. "It'll be quite a long list Hayden are you sure?" She asks me as we walk to the door. "Absolutely, honestly it's not an issue, it helps you guys out and it keeps me out of trouble" I laugh as Marjorie opens the door. "Ok but if it's too much or you just don't want to do it anymore then your not obliged ok? Have a nice day at school Hayden" "will do, thanks for the coffee marj" I smile cheekily at Noa's mom. She laughs and gives me a final wave as I make my way down the stairwell in their building.

I made a quick stop off at home before I headed to school so I could get changed. I pulled out a Calvin klein sports bra and briefs, a pair of ripped black jeans and a grey T-shirt. Once I was showered, applied my deodorant and cologne... I got changed into my clothes and looked myself over in the mirror ... there was something missing. Oh a SnapBack, I make my way to the closet and pull out a black SnapBack and perch it in its rightful place... perfection. On my way down the stairs and out the door I slip my sneakers on and grab my board heading to school.