10 | Moving in with the mate

"I am going. I will be back soon."

"Do you have to, Phineas?"

"Sorry, Achilles." Phineas sighed in defeat while removing Achilles' hands that were holding onto his arm for dear life. "You have seen the new Alpha. You know what he is capable of. But as I said, I will come back soon." He paused to smirk at the boy. "I will make sure to pull all your pranks on him so he gets irritated and sends me back right away."

Achilles, Enix and Aspen chuckled lightly. Phineas followed suit, sharing happy moments with his brother. The blissful moment ended when his eyes met another pair across the room, his mind going back to the conversation he had with Wilder an hour ago. His brother was angry. He demanded to know why the Alpha was forcing him to move into the pack house. That was something his whole family was curious about, but Phineas did not answer. He did not have one.

Wilder almost stormed out of the house to go and find the answer himself but Phineas stopped him. He turned livid when that happened. His brother was ready to move into a house where a tyrant who hated their guts lived without fighting. He shook his head and left the house.

Phineas could do nothing but watch his brother go. With a gloomy expression, he gave each of his brothers a hug and then proceeded to wheel his suitcase out. "Please do not make a mess out of the house. I want it pristine clean when I am back," were his parting words.

"You got it."

"Aye aye, captain!"

"Sure."

He was dreading the change, perplexed as to why the Alpha wanted him to shift to the pack house. Was it that Arthur had decided to acknowledge their mate bond? He hoped not. Shaking himself out of his wandering thoughts, he breathed deeply. With a final smile his family's way, he began walking.

Twenty minutes later, he was standing outside the pack house. "Which room should I take this to?" He inquired one of the guards, pointing at his luggage.

"Beta Patricia would be the one you should ask. Or maybe Carson. Or Alpha Arthur."

Ask Carson? He would rather sleep on one of the couches in the recreational room. Ask the Alpha? Over his dead body. "Where is the Beta now?"

The guard checked the time on his watch. "At this hour, in the office probably."

"And the Alpha?"

"Resting in his room."

Phineas heaved a sigh of relief which earned him looks full of curiosity from the two men. Paying them no attention, he stepped inside and left his suitcase behind the door before ascending the stairs. Only when Phineas disappeared from their vision did one of the guards tch-ed.

"What is it?" The other guard asked.

"The poor man would be looking for the house all over if he was planning to go ask the Alpha."

"Why?"

"Because of the moving-in, the Alpha was busy in the preparations the last I saw him. And I almost forgot that."

The other man shrugged. What could they do then anyway?

Phineas went straight to the second floor and started a lazy walk to the office. When the scent of a particular Alpha attacked his nostrils, his feet slowed down as he grew confused. For a moment, he gave in to the possibility of the Alpha being inside the office and almost turned around. Almost, before the realization set in that it was the Alpha's office and his scent was bound to be on every surface inside that room.

He chuckled at his stupidity before knocking twice. "Beta Patricia, it's Phineas Gray. Can I please come in?"

The door was opened with a force from inside and Patricia passed by a surprised Phineas. She appeared to be angry but Phineas had no choice but to take the risk of making her angrier lest he went to Arthur or Carson. "Beta Patri–"

"Not a word, Gray." Her words shut him up. "He is crazy," she muttered under her breath before she disappeared right around the corner. Phineas did not think the words were directed at him though.

"Do you have any actual reason to be standing outside my office or you eavesdrop for fun?"

Arthur's voice startled him enough to lose control of his reactions, and he groaned out loud.

"I wasn't eavesdropping."

"Right," the Alpha drawled. "So?"

"My bags are downstairs. I was wondering if you could allot me a room and I would put my things there right away. So, where will I be sleeping?"

"In my room." Phineas' jaw dropped. After not acknowledging their bond for so long, suddenly this Alpha wanted him to move in and sleep in the same room. He could not believe the nerve of the grey-eyed man. "Don't look so happy, I was joking. Your room number is-"

"I would never be happy sleeping in the same room as you."

Despite his need to hear those words, Arthur felt rage course through him. Without thinking, he began his onslaught of words on Phineas. "You do not have to pretend. He was your lover, wasn't he?"

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Indeed, what the fuck was he talking about? Arthur comtemplated. But he could not stop his mouth from forming ugly words. He hated judgemental people, demeaning ones and also disrespectful ones. He was being all of them at that moment. "Your scum of an ex-Alpha. That is why you got so many perks. Elders wrapped around your finger. You had the perfect chance to impress them by pretending to be an angel while you stayed by that scumbag. That is why your brother never faced any punishments." Ending his tirade, he murmured - "Can't believe you called Elders to save your ass."

Phineas never felt such hot anger pulsing in his veins before. At the same time, he had never felt a stronger urge to cry before. He blamed his wolf for wanting to dissolve into tears. He let anger win and when he spoke, his voice was as cold as an iceberg. "It is you who is jealous. It is you who wants me to move in. It is you make jokes about sleeping in the same room. And it is me who is desperate?"

Arthur did not answer and not because he had no answer but because his mind was stuck on Phineas' second sentence. "Moving in? What do you mean?"

Phineas huffed a laugh of disbelief. "The letter you sent at my home asking me to pack my belongings."

The Alpha looked even more confused before he connected the dots. Chuckles after chuckles left his mouth. "Who was the letter addressed to?"

Phineas thought for a few moments before meekly replying - "No one in specific."

"We are moving the pack warriors to the houses in the outskirts and moving the delta members to the pack house. The letter was sent to many. You moved in alone and thought I wanted you to move in with me? You have an active imagination." Phineas turned beat red listening to Arthur. As an embarrassed Phineas fled the scene, Arthur fell into another round of laughter. In the midst of his laughing fit, he yelled - "Number 13."

Arthur had picked his room carefully. It was the farthest room from both his office and his room.

»--•--«

Word Count: 1196

Hey, flufballs! Phineas and Arthur's story has crossed 500 reads and it makes me giddy to think about. I thought the story of Preston and Alastair would be the one I write more of and it would be completed first, but sadly that took a backseat for now. I plan to update that soon but there will be extremely slow updates.

Meanwhile, please vote and comment on this book. Add it to your reading lists and read my other werewolf book "Danger & Daffodils" as it is getting updated regularly.

~ Appy