1 | The Outlander

In this land, he was an outlander. Or worse, an intruder. He entered the pack wearing a darker shade of olive green keffiyeh - an Arabian face mask - that covered his nose and mouth and draped over his head. Only his sharp gray eyes were visible. Whispers about the identity of the "unknown man wearing the hooded cape" floated in the air of the Blackwater pack or what remained of the pack. Their Beta - Patricia Monroe - ignored every mumbled assumption and kept moving until they reached the safety of the home office.

Once inside the soundproof walls, Patricia switched to business mode. "Now let me make myself very clear - I do not entertain any outsider, especially a rogue into my territory but your lackeys practically begged to let you in. I do not wish to hear anything from your mouth except your purpose to approach this pack." The mysterious man scoffed, finding the very serious monologue humorous. "Anything funny, rogue?"

"Your territory? As far as I know, you are a mere Beta. And pack, you say? You are a group of rogues at this moment as there is no pack without an Alpha, and yours is in a dungeon if my memory serves me right."

"Business."

"I am a born Alpha and you are a pack" - another scoff - "without one."

The beta sniggered. " Are you saying what I think you are saying? If yes, then the answer is hell no."

The room had dim lighting that conveyed a more relaxed and laid-back bar-like atmosphere, suitable for unwinding and drinking than for working. The scarf around the unnamed man's head obstructed even a brief glimpse of his face. Despite the unfavorable conditions, the beta wolf noticed when his eyes flashed yellow for a second before settling down.

"I did not come here to seek permission, you dumb wolf!" The words were whispered but the force behind them was too much to ignore. There was something raw, powerful, and wild about that voice. "I came here to propose a good deal for you. We are both aware that soon the alphas from the territories surrounding your pack will launch an attack on you to get their hands on your land. You might hold it for a little while. Eventually, you will lose though without any Alpha. So I have come to peacefully acquire your pack and in return, I will be providing you security and a leading figure."

"And why should we accept an unknown rogue as our Alpha? We can let any other respectful Alpha take our pack and merge in theirs."

"You think an Alpha from another pack will treat the wolves from here equal to his own? You are delusional."

"And you will treat this pack equal to your people?"

"Of course! I am a rogue, I treat other rogues as shit. It will not be difficult to treat you all the same way."

The beta's mouth twitched. She liked this man. He was blunt. She stretched her hand forward, firmly speaking. "Deal."

The gray-eyed man took her hand in his, repeating the word.

She had no idea about the decision she made, whether it was right or wrong. It might be that she has sold herself and her pack to the devil but one thing was sure - she had no regrets. A feeling in her gut said she could trust herself. She was not the naive girl she once was when her Alpha gave her the Beta title.

"Let me introduce you to the pack."

It did not take much time to gather everyone on the meeting ground as half of the pack had already been lurking nearby since the newcomer's arrival. The man gave such a mysterious aura that it attracted immediate attention from most if not all.

"Thank you everyone for gathering here on such short notice. Sometimes we have to face the consequences for something we have not even done. We are in a similar situation here. You all know about our previous Alpha, the wrong business, and the people he was involved with. We are standing strong despite what he did and what we have become - a pack without an Alpha. However, it does not mean we are not vulnerable, because we are. We have two choices - to give up willingly or to give up grudgingly. I refuse to do both. So I have chosen an Alpha for us before any of the Alphas leave us without any choices."

The man's eyebrow shot up in surprise. He was impressed with the girl. She has a way with her words. The effect of them can be seen as the crowd stilled before breaking into multiple conversations. She held her hand up.

"Do you trust me?"

It was too early to ask the question after what happened with their Alpha who they put their trust in. The she-wolf changed her approach seeing the doubt-laden faces.

"To protect you was our Alpha's job. He failed you all but I will not. My eyes will not be able to bear the sight if you were to be given a choice between surrendering or dying by another power-hungry Alpha. Maybe this is our chance, so I choose for you." She kneeled on the ground on one knee and placed her right hand over her heart. Eyes down and head bowed, she committed -
"I pledge to you my loyalty and accept you as my new leader, Alpha..."

"Arthur Alvarez."