(V5) Chapter 2.2

DAYS passed before eventually; the sports festival was one week away. The class needed to decide who would participate in each competition and submit our participation table before the day finished. While Hirata stood at the podium, Kushida faced the blackboard with chalk in hand to record the preparations.

"Without further ado, let's decide on the entries." said Hirata.

To choose the order for our winning strategy, Hirata consulted his notes, which contained aggregate results of our entire class's daily records. We had written down the order, everyone's roles, and the competitions they'd enter. Not a single student objected to Hirata's results, which were based on hard data and clear testing of people's abilities. Everything proceeded without a hitch.

"Okay. For the final event, the 1200-meter relay, Sudou will be our anchor."

Horikita—who sat diagonally to me—continued to stare at the blackboard with an unconvinced expression. Immediately after the discussion ended, she stood up. She went right to Sudou.

"What's up?"

"I want to talk to you about something. Can you come with me?" Horikita replied.

"S-sure." Sudou hurriedly stood straight up at Horikita's command.

"Oh, Hirata-kun. Can I also have a moment of your time?"

Sudou's face gloomed.

"I want to discuss the participation table we decided on earlier. I'd like you to give me the anchor position in the 1200-meter relay at the end of the festival." said Horikita.

Sudou looked confused. "But, well...the anchor position is normally for the fastest person, right? Do ya feel uneasy having me as the anchor?"

"No, that's not it."

"Okay. So, I can handle it, right? I mean, if the anchor is the fifth runner, then—"

"I have my reasons. You're good with the starting dash, right, Sudou-kun? I think that having you breeze past our opponents as the first runner is a viable strategy. Starting with the second runner, we'll allow everyone to take the lane they like on a first-come-first-served basis. In the event that we're overtaken, the rules state that, from the second runner onward, we're allowed to use the outer lanes to overtake other runners." Horikita explained.

"It's just, y' know, the anchor position goes to the fastest team member."

"This school is a meritocracy. Let's not make choices based on assumptions or preconceived notions. The other classes will be coming up with various strategies as well." Horikita reasoned.

"I ain't convinced. This ain't like you, Horikita." said Sudou.

"Excuse me. Is it okay for me to chime in?" Kushida hesitantly entered the conversation. "Uh, I'm sorry. I just think maybe there's some other reason Horikita-san wants to be anchor."

"That's—"

"In that case, Horikita-san, would you mind telling us why? If you have a request, Sudou-kun and I will take that very seriously. But if we're changing the order that everyone decided as a class, I need more information." said Hirata.

"I agree with Hirata. We need a reason." said Sudou.

Horikita wore a complicated expression. "It's because I think my brother...is an anchor." she said quietly.

Everyone knew the student council president, but not everyone had made the connection that he and Horikita were related. Sur... Surprisingly.

"So, you want to be an anchor with your brother? Is that it?" Kushida didn't seem as though she fully understood.

"Some stuff happened. I guess Horikita and her brother aren't really on speaking terms. She probably wants this opportunity to patch things up with him." Ayanokouji stated as he joined in the conversation.

"I was wondering what the matter was. So, that's it, huh? Well, to be honest, I do still want the anchor position. But if that's the way you feel, then I don't mind handin' it over to you." said Sudou.

"I think it's fine, too. If Sudou-kun is satisfied, then everyone else will be too, right?" Kushida added.

...Right.

________________________________________________________________________________

Word Count: 608 Words