Chapter 22

As Azriel and Lowen prepared for the fancy dinner at the penthouse, she couldn't shake the feeling that Rhys knew something she didn't. It gnawed at the back of her mind until she finally voiced her thoughts.

"You know," she began, slipping into a dress that had arrived earlier.

"Rhys acted a bit strange earlier. He seemed to hint at something. Do you think he knows something we don't?"

Azriel, who was adjusting his attire, became unusually quiet for a moment. When he finally responded, it was with a hint of playful evasion.

"Rhys is always full of surprises," he said, not giving her a direct answer.

"Perhaps he just enjoys keeping us guessing."

Lowen raised an eyebrow.

"You're hiding something," she accused with a grin.

Azriel chuckled and closed the distance between them, his fingers tracing the lines of her dress.

"Wouldn't life be boring if we knew everything in advance?"

He leaned in, brushing a soft kiss on her lips, effectively distracting her from further questioning.

Lowen finished her hair in the bathroom and paused by the mirror. As she gazed at her reflection, she couldn't help but be struck by the fact that it had been a long time since she'd really taken the time to look at herself. The dress she wore for the fancy dinner at the penthouse was unlike anything she had worn in a while. It was a beautiful shade of midnight blue, very Night Court, but tasteful, covering her back in a way that she appreciated.

She took in the details of the dress, the delicate embroidery and the way it flowed gracefully around her body. Her bright green eyes stared back at her, framed by a shock of grey hair, pulled in a half up, half down style, the waves of her hair resting on her shoulders. It was getting so long, she realized. She couldn't deny that the attire made her feel elegant but a little out of her element.

Just as she was lost in her thoughts and the reflection in the mirror, Azriel entered the bathroom. He caught her looking at herself and stopped in his tracks. His hazel eyes widened slightly, and he was clearly taken aback.

"Breathtaking," he breathed, and she felt warmth rush to her cheeks, turning them a rosy hue.

"Thank you," she replied, her voice a little shy.

Azriel's compliment had caught her off guard, and she wasn't quite sure how to respond. But the way he looked at her in that moment made her feel like the most beautiful female in the world.

Azriel's sudden nervousness was palpable. It was quite the sight to bear witness to, as he was usually composed.

"Are you ready to head out?" he asked.

She smiled and gently took his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"We still have some time," she reminded him.

She could sense his unease, and she didn't want him to be uncomfortable. Especially about a silly fancy dinner at the penthouse.

But Azriel was insistent.

"There's something I want to show you before we head to the dinner," he said, his voice uncharacteristically soft.

Curious, she nodded.

"Lead the way."

+

In an instant, they vanished from the house, and when they reappeared, they were standing on the penthouse's rooftop. Lowen's heart skipped a beat as she spotted a priestess waiting there, and realization washed over her.