Self defence tactics

I ran forward and switched the lock just in time before voices sounded right outside the door. Sarah's voice stood out as she rambled on about some party she was going to and what she was wearing, who was going etcetera. Typical Sophie talk, it seemed it was impossible for her to hold any serious conversation whatsoever. She seemed to like pretending she was just an average pretty,popular teenage girl, nothing but clothes and boys on her brain. I waited, ear pressed to the door as their voices faded proving they were only passing, their real destination probably one of their rooms so they could gossip further in private. I waited a few seconds, heart pounding as I listened, only moving away when there was total silence on the other side. I made my way back to Alec's desk bending down behind it as I reached up, feeling around for the lock pick on his desk. When I grasped the familiar shape I grabbed it and immediately stuck it into the lock on one of the drawers. As usual, I had searched his desk and found nothing of interest. Alec never told me anything anymore, nothing of importance anyway. However, I knew there had to be somewhere he kept all the Confidential things in and I just wanted a peek at least. There was a time we told eachother everything but things were not the same anymore, much to my dismay. Now I had to resort to lock picking like some Thief trying to get the jackpot. Typical the key Jace had given me had been for the one drawer with the money but it fit none of the others.

I wasn't going to let it stop me though. It was my business just as much as his, if there was anything to be found,I'd find it and at least I wouldn't feel so out of the loop then. No matter how hard I tried jace never told me anything. Too loyal to his 'alpha'. Well, whatever, I was just going to have to dig around myself. I knew there was something up during the week when Alec called Jace to his study,they must have been in there an hour and I was just going to my bedroom for the night when they'd both come out. Jace's jaw clenching and his shoulders tense as if he was trying to keep in whatever overwhelming emotion he had bubbling inside of him, he had composed himself less than a second later when he knew there was someone else in the darkened hallway but either way I had seen it. I'd also seen Alec's expression before he closed his study door, an expression I couldn't place but one that still sent a shiver of uneasiness through me.

I'd always had a knack for lockpicking, I'd been doing it since I was six when Dad thought it would be handy to teach me, I was bright even back then and he had barely been showing me ten minutes when I could already lock and unlock the living room door. I only ever used it on things like the sweet cabinet and harmless things like that back then, even now I never did it on locks that were strictly no-go areas, ones that could lead to me getting in the height of shit with Alec.I certainly hadn't done any lockpocking in his study before, knowing that it was possibly the worst thing I could do and one he would no doubt be 'quite' displeased about If he were to figure out.

I heard the familiar click and pulled open the drawer, books and a few stationery things was all that I could make out so I closed it again, getting to work on the second drawer straight away, it was only a matter of time before someone noticed I was on the missing list.

This drawer proved more awarding when I was met with piles of envelopes and notes stacked inside. I rummaged through it, silently mouthing 'No' to myself as I sweeped my eyes over each of them, deciding whether they were important to study properly or not. One envelope caught my attention. It was stamped so it wasn't personally delivered, our address was written in a messy scrawl, barely legible as if someone had written it in a hurry. Sitting back, I tucked my legs beneath me and pulled the letter out, curiosity taking over.

The letter was creased a hundred times over like it was crumpled up more than nice then folded a few times on top of that. As if someone had reread it over and over.

The writing belonged to the same person, the handwriting sloped and rushed looking.

My eyes scanned over it , my breath catching when I read the content.