Chapter 6: Burnt Out

Skye tried not to relive the recent events as she listened to Riftan explain them to the school nurse and Ms. Acacia.

Jesse sat close to her, bouncing her knee anxiously, which didn't ease Skye's nerves. So, she drowned the voices out.

She's endured more than this, so she could get through this, too. Though the creature's rotting face was burned into her memory, she attempted to focus on other thoughts--happy thoughts. However, her ears perked at what was said next.

"It's strange that a siren would even be out here at all." The nurse commented.

"Yes, I know." Riftan replied, "They only reside in salt water. Freshwater dissolves their very being, which is why it appeared so torn up."

Ms. Acacia hadn't said anything during the report, even now, she remained silent.

"I'm concerned that it had a motive coming here," Riftan continued.

Skye froze. Did they know she was here? Already? Her heart quickened as she took some deep breaths.

Riftan glanced at her and squinted slightly, suspicion written on his brow. Was her paranoia apparent?

Ms. Acacia finally spoke, "We cannot assume it had a reason for being here." Her perfect poker face gave nothing away, "However, it would be wise to make this news known to everyone, in case there are more 'incidents'. For now, our conclusion rests with uncertainty, therefore, we will advise students to keep their distance from Lake Perch."

"Yes, ma'am."

Ms. Acacia turned towards Skye, "Did you make any physical contact with the siren, Skye?"

"No," she looked at the floor, "Riftan intervened only moments after it leapt at me." He stiffened slightly.

Acacia's chin rose, "Well done, Riftan, you're very alert."

The nurse stepped forward with a syringe and gestured for Riftan's arm. He accepted the injection and nodded. He then turned to leave.

Ms. Acacia addressed Skye, "Well, I have some calls to make, so I will speak to you more about this, this evening."

Skye agreed and excused herself, hurrying before Riftan was gone.

She peaked out from the doorway, turning into the hall, "Riftan!" He flinched a little, "Thank you."

He didn't turn around, instead, he raised his hand and waved, disappearing around the corner.

She blew out a slow, steady stream, emptying her lungs. Jesse looped her arm and lightly tugged her to their dorms.

"Jesse," Skye wanted to lighten the mood, "Did we miss lunch?"

Jesse chuckled, "Girl, how're you so skinny!? I know you aren't starving!"

The girls giggled.

"I'm glad you're okay," Jesse nudged her friend.

"Can't get rid of me that easily," Skye teased.

"It's just so bizarre..."Jesse began rambling. It wasn't the craziest thing that's happened to her though.

After returning to Skye's dorm, the girls raided their slumber party snack stash from the night before. Once again, eating away their worries.

They returned Skye's room to its presentable appearance and headed to the library. This allowed her to return and search for more books containing knowledge about Anasidora and its beings and creatures. Jesse chose to entertain herself with thrilling romance novels.

Skye's mind couldn't help but wander back to the day's earlier horrors. She was sure that the siren came for her, she just wasn't sure if it intended to kill her or not. Her previous captors always wanted her alive, so she wondered if they were even a part of this. Perhaps she was paranoid, though. It could have attacked her for simply being the only one around at the time--chance.