Chapter 19: Tempting Fate

~~~Riftan's POV~~~

I lied. She didn't smell like sweat at all. Her delicious aroma was intensified, filling the halls with an attractive cherry-tangerine scent. I feel a small amount of guilt for lying, but she looked cute hiding in embarrassment. This is the first time I've seen her act in such a way. It's a pleasant change from her tough demeanor.

I had been furious with Marine's crude statements about Skye after she had excused herself. My uncle's wife smirked while Becca made things worse, sharing how Skye "attacked" her at the academy. A crowd of pack members had formed to gossip about Skye's supposed strange behavior. My uncle was too drunk and distracted with his pals to notice.

When I glanced at Iris to see her response to her daughter's rudeness, she just looked me up and down and raised a brow at my appearance.

It's frustrating. Skye could be my potential Luna, so hearing the pack disrespect her angered me. They'll regret it one day. Xerxes' gnawing temper didn't help.

I didn't have to say anything to the group of gossipers. They could feel my displeasure roll off of me in waves of fury. It silenced them long enough for me to storm upstairs.

Xerxes' desire to claim Skye has grown more intense since her stay at the pack, and honestly, mine has too. With our growing friendship, I am tempted to tell her the truth before we return to the academy.

I scratch my head and lay in my bed. I can hear the water running on the other side of my wall. Skye must be washing away her "sweat", I can't fight my smile, and the thoughts of her bathing invade my thoughts.

~~~~~~~

Christmas was only three days away, and Skye helped the busy servants with everything she could. She had even managed to learn a few things in the kitchen from Zeke. Who definitely had feelings for Evie. Skye tried to give him the confidence to ask her out.

The packhouse was being prepared for another party. The actual Christmas Eve party.

Of course, Skye had no desire to attend. But, Riftan had stopped her in the halls earlier to ask if she was going to attend this party since she hadn't been to the last. At that moment, she wanted to go. She wanted to see him there. Plus, she was told that the Christmas Eve party was one of the biggest events of the year at N.P. Pack. Skye informed Riftan that she would be there.

Marine and Becca had been more ruthless to Skye recently. They called her terrible names and demanded that she take on all roles of the servants if she "so desperately wanted to be one anyway". Of course, Alpha Wallace forbade it, but it didn't stop the girls from ordering Skye to do petty things. If Skye refused, they would make Evie do whatever it was they demanded. Skye was beginning to reach a breaking point, however. Her fuse shortened each day.

"Skye!" Speak of the devil. Becca entered the kitchen area, "Marine has some complaints about how her room was tidied this morning."

"Then, maybe she'll do it herself next time."

"Maybe someone else is more qualified." She sneered, implying that she would order Evie to do it.

"If you want it done right, do it yourself." Skye quoted the famous line.

"Or just get someone who's competent."

Skye rolled her eyes, "How could I have forgotten both of your incapabilities." Skye spat back, "Give me a few."

Becca looked as though she wanted to say more, but held her tongue, "Be up in ten, shrew."

Skye scoffed at her ignorance. Funny how Becca found her power when Marine wasn't around.