Chapter 9: Disconnected

Skye spotted the source of the howl, and she couldn't help but gasp at the sight of it. She had momentarily forgotten that the chances of it being a plain old regular wolf were slim--and this wolf was huge! Definitely a werewolf, and a familiar one at that.

She swallowed her panic and prayed that she didn't know whoever it was, nor them, her.

A mere glimpse of the animal had her heart pumping. Skye forced herself higher and scanned the land beneath her, she wouldn't be surprised if it followed her. She was surprised, however, to see how well it kept up with her, appearing almost effortless as it bound through the forest, dodging trees and brush, all while keeping its sight on her.

She wondered how long it could run for, confident that she could best it. She assured herself that it wouldn't be able to recognize her with all her layers anyway... Right? Strangely, if she could have the assurance that it meant no harm, it felt nice having someone who could keep up--even if from the ground. It lessened the loneliness.

She tested it, maneuvering over tougher terrain to watch the graceful creature trot effortlessly over it as well. She sped up and slowed down, watching how it mimicked her tempo. She even threw in a few loop-the-loops, somersaults, and dives, showing off a little.

Though she was curious about the identity of her pursuer, she dared not descend. It was still a giant wolf after all.

When she tired of her game, she followed the current of the wind, chasing it uphill, keeping her eye on the tailing wolf. When Skye reached the peak, it flattened out for a while before jutting to an abrupt overhang, admiring the crashing waves below its lengthy fall. The immediate cliff worried Skye, so she stopped herself at its edge. She would feel terrible if the wolf plummeted itself into the rocks below. Seconds later, the wolf slowed, eyeing her suspiciously. It took it a moment to notice the steep, not wanting to take its eyes off of the angel-like being.

When Skye was certain it had seen the danger, she flew into the night sky, higher and higher, until she was confident it no longer had its sights on her. She thought she had heard distant yelling but wasn't about to turn around to reveal her identity. She soared deeper into the clouds, relishing the moment a little while longer, until she made her way back to her room.

That was just what she needed.

After removing her layers, Skye returned to her untouched nest-shaped covers and slept for the few remaining hours before her alarm clock would sound. She dreamt of the mysterious wolf who joined her on her outing. Maybe she would see it again.

She struggled to climb out of bed once the sun was up, wishing she could sleep in just a little bit longer. She secretly regretted telling Jesse she'd sit in on her training.

Regardless of her wishes, she kept her commitment, showering and readying herself for the day. She allowed her damp hair to air-dry and applied light makeup before changing into ripped jeans and a long-sleeved, simple, black shirt. She pulled on a slightly large burgundy trench coat over her back and shoulders, tucking her wings into the same makeshift pouches that she installed on her cape. She decided to leave the front undone.

Uncle Rad had bought her plenty of garments to hide her impressive, feathered wings.

Skye waited for Jesse outside her room, and the two girls then walked to training together, excitedly chatting about their upcoming mall trip in a few hours.

"I'm thinking something a little more fitting," Jesse started, "Y'know, something I normally wouldn't wear."

Jesse rubbed her chin and slouched, raising her brows as if checking out an imaginary person, "Oh damn! Who's that alluring doe."