Chapter 15

A few days passed, and still nothing from the Sons of Darkness. It was as if they had dropped off the face of the earth. Not even the mysterious book under Kai's bed was threatened again. Nothing was threatened again.

Lloyd ran to catch up with Kai one morning on their way to breakfast. Thankfully, the red ninja was alone. "Okay, what did you do?" the blond prompted.

Kai turned to him, confused. "What do you mean?"

"My dad hasn't confronted me about anything in days," Lloyd explained. "He hasn't even talked to me! It's like he's just watching me. It's not like him. And I figured it out." He crossed his arms. "He changed ever since you talked to him in the parlor the other day."

Kai's eyebrows raised. "Really?" he asked hopefully.

"What did you say to him?"

Kai rubbed the back of his neck, hesitating.

Lloyd's face dropped. "Oh, no," he breathed. "Kai, what did you tell him?"

"I told him what I thought he needed to hear," Kai answered carefully. "You two are horrible at communicating with each other, so I figured I should step in."

"Great." The sarcasm was clear in Lloyd's voice.

"I didn't mention your marking, if that's what you're thinking."

Lloyd looked down at his wrist. "Thanks, I guess," he mumbled.

Kai followed his gaze. "How has it been, anyway?" he continued. "Is it getting any worse?"

"It was, a couple weeks ago," Lloyd admitted, twiddling his right fingers. "But ever since the Sons of Darkness disappeared, the pain stopped."

He grunted as a servant bumped into him. Furrowing his eyebrows, he looked around at the rushing staff around them. "Does the palace seem busier to you?"

Kai copied him. There were people everywhere carrying boxes, putting up decorations, discussing with one another. "It does," he agreed.

"Is it somebody's birthday or something?" Lloyd muttered.

At the end of the hallway, Kai spotted Skylor talking to a few others. "There's the princess," he said. "Let's ask her."

The two ninja headed over to her, waiting until she was done speaking before addressing her. "Princess?" Kai started.

Skylor turned to him. "Kai," she greeted, her amber eyes brightening. It took her a while too long to notice Lloyd, but when she did, she nodded to him. "Lloyd."

Lloyd dipped his head in reply, muttering to himself as he saw how his brother and the princess gazed at each other. He elbowed Kai to knock him from his trance.

"Oh—uh..." Kai cleared his throat. "Is something going on? Everyone seems... occupied."

"Oh," Skylor smiled a bit. "The royal council has been talking to Chester and me ever since the Sons of Darkness stopped showing up. It's been a while, and we've come to the decision that the kingdom is safe once again. And because of that, we've decided it's time for the wedding."

Both Kai and Lloyd's jaws dropped. "The wedding?" Kai echoed in shock. "You mean, the one between you and... Sleete?"

Skylor nodded, glancing downward as she messed with the skirt of her dress. "The king and queen of Trynia were hasty to agree," she murmured. "They've been waiting a long time for this."

Kai's face slowly fell. "Oh..." he mumbled in disappointment. "I see."

Putting on another smile, Skylor looked up at them again. "You've been an incredible help," she said. "We believe you've frightened our enemies away. You're welcome to stay until the wedding, but after that, Shillvaron no longer requires your services."