-19-

Alonzo observed the scene unfolding just above him, or rather, on him. The Bubak, transformed by the daylight into a bloodthirsty monster, seemed to hesitate to move, while the young witch, Lili, despite her deep wounds, stood by his side, clinging to him in a desperate embrace.

"Lili, you're crazy!" Ree shouted from where she was.

But the girl tightened her arms around the monster. Her wound was causing her pain, to the point where she dropped to her knees, still holding onto the Bubak.

"Please," she murmured, crying. "You're my friend... you're not a bad person... please, calm down, Bubak."

"Li...li..."

The half-fairy stepped back gently, noticing that her friend seemed to be in an inner battle.

He repeated the name of the little witch with difficulty, as if trying to stay conscious. The girl simply smiled at him, taking his face in her hands to plant a kiss on his forehead.

"I'm here."

Without having resumed his original form, Lili's actions seemed to have restored reason to the Bubak, at least enough for him to stop his attacks.

Alonzo straightened up, moving away from them, while the girl collapsed against the monster. It was Izãdo who rushed to her, taking her in his arms.

"You need care too," the prince remarked to the albino.

"No, just some rest. Hurry and take her back inside before the Bubak's instincts resurface."

"Why don't you do it?"

"I can't touch her," the albino explained, pointing to his hand that passed through the girl. "I was injured too badly."

The prince watched him disappear suddenly, glanced at the Bubak who seemed to be struggling with himself, then took Lili away from him, towards the castle.

Donatello immediately approached him.

"Give her to me," he said, reaching out his arms. "I'll take her to the infirmary urgently, if you'll help the others get everyone inside."

The prince placed his friend in the professor's arms, who hurried inside, while Izãdo rejoined his friends.

It only took a few seconds for all the students to be back inside the school, followed by their teachers.

When, shortly after, the Bubak returned to his savage state, he had no prey left to attack, except for the Leviathan, which didn't interest him, so he quietly returned to the dark forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lili woke up in pain.

It was dark, and she was in the infirmary. It was when she tried to sit up that she remembered the events that had just transpired.

The monster, the Bubak, Alonzo... She had lost consciousness due to her injuries.

A huge bat descended from the ceiling, taking on its human form, Viktor smiled.

"Well, I'm glad to see you're awake," he reassured her.

"Did I sleep for a long time?"

"No, just a day. It's December twenty-seventh, and it's two in the morning."

"Two o'clock? I... I'll stay lying down, you can go to sleep, Viktor."

"It's okay, don't worry about me."

"How is everyone? And the Bubak? And Alonzo? And the Leviathan?"

"Take it easy, Lili. Everyone is fine, we all got back before the Bubak's instincts returned. Since there was no one left, it just went back to the forest. The Leviathan is still very weak, but its condition is improving. We've tasked our summonses with defending it at night."

"Areiti?"

"Areiti... oh yes, the mermaid! He's fine, Professor Perenelle Huan took care of him."

"And Alonzo? He was injured!"

"He disappeared, we haven't seen him since, but he told Izãdo that he just wanted to rest."

Lili sighed with relief.

Viktor brought her some soup for her to eat a little, and she unwrapped a package of sweets placed near her bed.

"My healing magic was able to easily treat the scratches on your arm," the vampire explained, "but your wrist and stomach, the wounds are too deep, so I could only alleviate them a little."

"That's okay, it hurts, but it's bearable."

"By the way, you missed the Christmas celebrations. I have something for you."

The nurse moved away to go to his desk, returning with a package.

"I heard that you like dolls."

Lili unwrapped the gift given to her by the adult, discovering a beautiful "pullip" doll, just like the one her father had given her shortly before she left for Bermuda School. This one had pink and blue hair, wearing quirky clothes in the same shades.

The girl hugged her friend, who offered her a friendly smile before changing her bandages.

He served her a herbal tea to help her sleep a little more, returning himself to hang from the ceiling in his bat form until morning, when Ree entered the infirmary with a loud noise. She was quickly reprimanded by Izãdo, who arrived more calmly behind her, and then by Viktor, who, of course, had been awakened.

However, Lili was happy to see them, hugging them, as well as Lulis, Charity, Luil, and Khalil, who visited her during the day.

"Your injury is serious," the vampire explained when she asked to go out. "I prefer to make sure it's completely healed. Don't worry, your classmates will bring you the homework you missed."

"I'll help you catch up on your classes."

The nurse looked up. In the middle of the large infirmary room, in front of the girl's bed, the albino appeared in perfect health.

"Alonzo!" exclaimed Lili. "You're alive!"

She would have wanted to get up and throw herself into his arms, but the pain reminded her that she was currently unable to do so.

It was her mysterious protector who approached, then sat on the edge of the bed so she could hold him close.

"Who are you, after all?" Viktor grumbled.

"It's still a secret for now," his interlocutor simply replied, moving away from Lili. "But you'll find out soon."

"I'm a vampire, and I don't smell anything coming from you... your blood doesn't seem to have any aroma..."

"Perhaps your sense of smell is lacking, since you didn't even notice your partner's pregnancy."

"How did you..."

Alonzo contented himself with his usual smile, putting his index finger in front of his lips before disappearing again