it's your funeral

(2945 words)

'You okay?' Tara asked you as you joined them.

'Yep.' You replied quickly. 'Just thought I'd get your guys' perspective on this ex-boyfriend.'

'To be honest,' Rossi joined you, 'we're coming up blank.'

'No criminal record?' You asked.

'None. Not even a speeding ticket.' JJ added.

'That's weird.' You thought out loud.

'Is it?' Tara asked.

'Well, it's just his brother has a lengthy record.' You told her.

'He does?' Luke asked, picking up his tablet to check.

'Yeah, but it's no use looking into him.' You told him. 'Prentiss already said it's a dead end.'

'What's her reasoning?' Rossi inquired.

'It's a Tuesday and she doesn't fancy listening to me today?' You half-joked.

'Heads up.' Luke warned you, as you all turned to see Emily walking towards you, her confident demeanour returning.

'Get suited up.' She instructed you all. 'We're going to pick up the ex-boyfriend.'

'But we were just saying there's nothing on him that indicates he's involved in this?' JJ questioned her.

'He's got motive, that's enough.' Emily argued back. 'Now are you in charge or am I? Let's go.'

As she walked away crossly you all scoffed in each other's direction.

Wow, I think I actually hate her.

'I guess that's us told.' Rossi remarked, shaking his head disapprovingly as he grabbed his vest from the back of his chair.

'Isn't it just.' JJ added, as you all followed Emily towards your cars.

—————

You'd been questioning Ollie Kitchen for two hours now and not a single sign indicated he'd been involved in the death of his ex-girlfriend.

'Why does Prentiss insist on wasting all our time with this?' Rossi asked out of desperation as you all watched her and Luke trying for the second time to interrogate Kitchen.

'She just doesn't want to admit she was wrong.' You decided, turning away from the one-way mirror and pacing around the room.

'I can't just stand here watching them get nowhere when there could be a potential victim out there getting attacked as we speak.' Tara expressed.

'You're right.' You agreed. 'I'm gonna go and join the patrol officers.'

'Y/n, we can't.' JJ warned you. 'That's even more fuel for Prentiss to light you up with.'

'I don't care anymore.' You replied. 'We're not getting anywhere here and she said it herself: the patrol officers clearly need the extra help.'

'I don't know that that's a good idea, Y/n.' Rossi said.

'I'm not asking that any of you come with me.' You clarified. 'Just tell Prentiss I went by my own will and it had nothing to do with you lot. I'll deal with her later.'

'I think it'll be the other way around.' JJ warned you.

You pulled a face at that.

'There's no way I'm letting you go out there alone.' Tara objected. 'I'll join you.'