anything but selfish

(2825 words)

'There you are!' JJ greeted you as you joined the group again, noticing Hannah was back performing for your friends.

'We thought you'd got lost somewhere in there!' Tara added, opening her arm out for you to join them in their circle.

'No.' You laughed, looking down at the ground out of worry they'd see how shaken up you were.

'Was it a tactical chunder?' Garcia asked, eyeing you accusingly.

'No!' You replied defensively, smiling at her.

'Do you lot ever get that thing where you go to the bathroom and you're just sat there, pissed, realising how drunk you are and what a good time you're having?' JJ asked, as if she was telling you all a secret.

'Oh my god, yes!' Garcia replied, pointing her drink towards JJ and spilling it on the way.

'Is that what you were doing?' Tara asked, leaning into you teasingly as Garcia and JJ trailed off in their own conversation.

'Hmm?' You asked, absentmindedly.

'Where are you right now?' She asked suddenly.

You searched her eyes for a second, trying to come up with a suitable answer.

'Guys guys guys!' Luke shouted over the music, staring at his phone but beckoning you all closer. 'You're not going to like this.'

'Like what?' Rossi asked.

'Check your phones.' He said, holding his out like a prop.

You all pulled out your phones and read a message from Emily.

'Are you kidding me?' Tara exclaimed.

'What is it?' Hannah asked, wrapping her arm around your back and peering over your phone.

You looked up towards JJ and saw her shake her head in disbelief.

'There's no way.' Rossi added.

'What do we do?' Garcia asked.

'You have to go.' Hannah said, shrugging her shoulders.

'She has to pull us into work on tonight of all nights!' Tara huffed.

'Maybe we could all go and Y/n could stay here with Hannah?' Rossi suggested.

'Yeah cause that'd go down well, wouldn't it?' You reminded him.

'It's fine.' Hannah said, smiling. 'You all go, I'll head home.'

'No, Hannah!' Garcia replied sympathetically.

'It's fine, honestly!' She insisted. 'I've had an amazing night anyway.'

'Are you sure?' You asked her.

'Of course!' She replied. 'We wouldn't have made it four years if I didn't understand the demands of your line of work.'

She pulled you into her and kissed your forehead briefly.

'Aw Hannah!' Garcia exclaimed. 'You're the best girlfriend!'

Hannah laughed, shaking her head as you put on your best smile, wondering what Hannah was actually thinking.

'I'm so sorry about this.' You told her, as you all began grabbing your jackets ready to leave.

She shook her head silently.

'Thanks for an amazing night, Hannah.' JJ said, as everyone began hugging her appreciatively.

'We'll hopefully see you again soon, kidda.' Rossi said, shaking her hand.