Christmas plans

Prompts: "Is that a hickey?"

Warnings: Mention of reader not having a good relationship with their family, small mention of anxiety.

A/n: Despite the prompt and the warnings, this is overall just a very fluffy fic!

~

All around you your teammates were sharing their Christmas plans. You were stretching before training, and the conversation about winter break came up, and everyone was excitedly sharing their plans to visit their families. You dreaded the moment you would be asked about your plans, because opposed to all their excited plans with family, you had no plans of your own. The reason you weren't going to visit your family during the holidays is because you don't have a good relationship with them. Since you were still rather new at Arsenal, not many of your teammates knew about this part of your life, though.

Inevitably the question was thrown your way by Lia. Your long time Ireland teammate, and best friend, noticed the panicked look in your eyes, and answered before you had the chance to. "Y/n, is joining me for Christmas. We're going to stay with my family for a couple days." You were grateful that the conversation continued after Katie's response. You had known Katie for years, having met at the U17 team, she had been there for you almost every time that something surrounding your parents had happened.

After training you're the last one in the dressing room with Katie, the perfect moment to thank Katie for her cover up. "Of course, anytime. You should actually come though." With a furrowed brow you look back at her. "Oh no, it's fine. I can just stay home. It's a family holiday, I don't want to intrude." Katie packs the last of her stuff into her backpack, "I think you've spent enough time at the house to be considered family." It's true, you had spent a lot of nights staying at the McCabe's when things got bad with your parents. "Mom loves you more than she loves me anyways, I know she would love for you to join us. Plus, I think it would be really nice." So, like that it was settled, you were joining the McCabe's for Christmas.

Gary was there to pick you up from Dublin Airport. You greeted him with a quick hug, before putting both your own and Katie's suitcase in the trunk, letting Katie have a moment with her dad. The drive to their place wasn't long, so in no time you were hugged by the rest of the McCabe family that was currently home. "It's so good to see you, Y/n! I'm glad you could join us for Christmas." Katie's mom excitedly shares, making you feel welcome instantly. "I wasn't sure where you preferred to sleep, I can make up the couch, Gary can set up an air mattress, or I can ask one of the kids that won't come home until Christmas eve if you can take their room for the time being? I'm afraid that the guest room is currently occupied by quite a mess, as we've been renovating a bit." Katie goes in to hug her mom as well. "Don't be silly, mom, we can just share my room." She looks your way to see if you're okay with that too. "Yeah, I'm fine sharing with Katie. What have you been renovating?" You knew that Gary loved showing off what he was working on. Like you expected he excitedly asked you to follow him, as he was pointing to everything he was planning on fixing. You listened full of interest, always having loved listening to people talk about what they are passionate about.

Meanwhile in the living room Katie gets questioned by her sisters. "So, does Y/n joining us for Christmas mean you guys are finally together?" Ella starts. "Y/n's here because she's my best friend. Also, what do you mean finally?" Her brow furrows slightly. "Come on, you can't tell me you don't like her more than that." Lauryn continues, clearly sharing the same thoughts about the two of you as Ella. In response Katie just rolls her eyes and walks away, joining her mom in the kitchen. Leaving a smirking Ella and Lauryn behind, "She didn't deny it." The two of them share a look, "So, we're definitely going to try to get them together before Christmas right?"