Fouls

Summary: You keep getting fouled but the referee doesn't seem to mind. Each time you hit the ground, it gets harder for Katie to ignore her anger.

~

Today was the first match of the season, you were playing against Liverpool. After a moment of silence for Maddy the team got together for once last huddle. Before heading to your respective places on the field you and Katie did your pre-game handshake. You created the handshake back when you first started Arsenal five years ago, and have been doing it ever since. Over the years your handshake stayed the same but your friendship with Katie evolved and eventually turned into a relationship. After the handshake you run to your spot on the field and join the team in taking a knee after the whistle is blown.

Barely five minutes into the game and you already got tackled, the referee let the game continue because Arsenal kept possession. You got up annoyed because you were trying to build up better and that was definitely a foul. You shook it off and ran upfield because Foord had earned the team a corner kick. It was a great shot but Laws was able to get to it before it landed in the far corner.

The game continued Little was able to intercept the ball and you were once again trying to build up the game. She started by kicking the ball back to McCabe who worked together with the rest of the defenders to get the ball to you on the right end of the field, you spotted Russo and passed the ball her way. Russo got stuck between Liverpool's defenders and opted to kick the ball back to you. Before you could even get your first touch in, you were roughly pushed aside by Kearns. Again nothing from the referee, so you chased after her trying to get the ball back, which you managed to do with the help of Walti. Walti passes the ball to Lacasse, who is able to walk the ball into the far corner and set the ball up for Russo, she heads the ball in the direction of the goal, but it was once again intercepted by Laws.

This time Liverpool got through your midfield and Taylor was moving towards your goal, Catley was able to slide in and get the ball to McCabe, successfully stopping Liverpool's attack. The defenders kicked the ball around for a bit before moving forwards again, they tried through Little at first but she was met with a bunch of purple jersey's so she kicked the ball back to McCabe, who tried again but this time she passed the ball your way. You tried turning but were physically being pulled away from the ball, which should be another foul but the referee didn't seem to notice. You saw your girlfriend getting annoyed and despite your own annoyance you signaled for her to let it go.

The match continued with equal possession until half-time. After a quick break you got back on the field, hoping the second half of the match would work out more in your favor. The break helped calm both your own and Katie's annoyance with the opponents and the referee. However, that calm was short-lived as the same pattern returned instantly. Maybe they were getting rough because you were able to get the balls through to your forwards and that was threatening them, but the referee just ignoring all their fouls was very frustrating.

Once again a hard tackle that did not even hit the ball was made on you. You fell to the ground, and reached for your leg, as the Liverpool player had kicked your shin at full power. Tears started forming in your eyes from the amount of pain you were in, but yet again no whistle. So, the game around you continued. McCabe managed to intercept the ball from Holland and kicked it out of play and pointed in your direction. The referee finally blew the whistle and the team that was waiting at the sideline ran to your aid. Alessia and Lia were already by your side as the team reached you for assessment.

Katie on the other hand made a beeline for the referee. She got right up to her and all her frustrations came out. "Why did that have to take so long?" Katie spat in the woman's face. In response she only got a "Behave yourself, McCabe." Which wasn't cutting it for Katie. "She's been fouled over five times now, mind doing your job?" Kim noticed Katie and ran her way. She pulled Katie back but it was too late, the referee reached into her pocket and gave Katie a yellow card. Katie shook her head at the referee and pushed herself out of Kim's hold, turning on the balls of her feet and running towards you.

She knelt down by your side, "Are you okay?" You nod, "I'll be fine." The team said you could try to get up. Katie stood up right away to help you stand. You shook your leg a couple of times and set a few steps. When Katie saw you were okay she headed to her own place on the field again. "Wait, what happened?" You say to Little as you join her on the midfield again and see the yellow card announcement with your girlfriend's name beside it. "You know, McCabe, if someone hurts you, she'll demand answers." You smile and shake your head. You wish she wouldn't have gotten carded but you were grateful for her standing up for you.

The rest of the game continued without any fouls on you, which you were grateful for. Liverpool did manage to get a goal in a few minutes before the end of the match, which wasn't a great way to start the new season but you knew that you and the girls gave your everything in the match. Katie walks up to you after the whistle blows and puts her arm around your shoulder, you shake hands with a few players and head to the changing rooms with her arm still protectively wrapped around you.