7 - Truth or Dare

Emerson's POV

I was excited and nervous as I waited for Bentley to pick me up. He was sweet, funny, and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me. I couldn't help but feel giddy at the thought of spending more time with him.

Bentley texted me that he was here. I looked a deep breath and walked down to his car.

"Hey!" he said as I got into the car. "Hey, thanks for inviting me," I replied, blushing at the sight of him.

We made small talk as Bentley drove us to his and Cole's apartment. "Is Dakota going to be here?" I questioned. "He is..."Bentley gave me a hopeful smile.

"Oh" I was nervous to see him after his outburst at the game. "It'll be okay" Bentley grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

We arrived at Bentley's apartment. I followed behind him, still nervous about what Dakota was going to say.

I was instantly greeted by Savannah and Ellie. Ellie overly happy that I came.

I sat down next to Bentley on the couch as I watched Cole and Sophia race each other in MarioCart.

My attention was taken away from the tv as the front door opened, revealing Dakota and Lily.

Lily's hair was slightly messed up and her cheeks were red.

Dakota and I made eye contact, a scowl forming on his face.

"What are you doing here?" he asked confused.

"Oh, Bentley invited me,' I replied, trying to keep my voice steady despite Dakota's cold tone.

"Well, I hope he's not expecting me to babysit you," he sneered, causing Bentley and the others to shift uncomfortably.

I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment. I wanted to leave immediately, but I didn't want to ruin everyone's night. I decided to just ignore Dakota and try to enjoy the night.

I felt Bentley grab my hand and squeeze it, reassuring me that it would be okay. I gave him a small smile.

As the night went on, I found myself having a good time with everyone. We were drinking, playing games, dancing, and laughing together.

Dakota continued to make snide comments towards me, making me feel unwelcome and out of place. I tried to ignore him as best as I could.

Bentley noticed my discomfort and pulled me aside.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern in his eyes.

I smiled and nodded, not wanting to cause any trouble.

"I'm sorry about Dakota," Bentley said, making sure they were out of earshot. "He's always been a bit of a jerk, but he's also one of my closest friends. I hope he's not ruining your night."

I shrugged, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to come between Bentley and his friends, but Bentley was continuously apologizing for Dakota's behavior.

"Don't worry about me," I finally said. "I'm just glad to be here with you."

Bentley smiled and pulled me into a hug, making my heart swell with happiness.

I glanced over at Dakota who was looking at us with a disapproving glare.

Bentley pulled away from the hug as Ellie walked over. She grabbed my hand and drug me back into the living room.