two. second chance at first line

As Aster slowly emerged from his deep slumber, his eyes blinked open and widened in alarm

As Aster slowly emerged from his deep slumber, his eyes blinked open and widened in alarm. He quickly scanned the empty space on his mattress and bedroom, relieved to find that no one was there. Shaking his head to dispel any lingering thoughts of a bedmate, he rolled onto his side and faced the wall. The wall was adorned with an array of deputy uniforms and clothes that belonged to him. He studied the garments for a moment before closing his eyes and drifting back into a quiet sleep.

"Mom, I have work to do," Aster told his mom over the phone while doing so, he spun his seat around. His eyes came upon the files on the corner of his desk that were still there from the day before.

"And you also have a mother to please, so..." Melissa replied. "Just promise that you'll come to Scott's game today. He may not say it, but he misses you. I miss you. You've barely been around after you've moved out."

"Because I have a job," Aster responded. His mother scoffed at his words. "Was that a scoff I just heard?"

"Yes, yes it was," Melissa declared. Aster attempted to resist rolling his eyes at her. "Please? It'll make Scott happy to see his brother while he's starting. Well, happier since he's already excited about this girl."

Aster was taken aback and asked for clarification, "I'm sorry, can you please tell me which girl you are referring to?" He was now completely engrossed in the conversation and eager to know more. He adjusted himself in his seat and placed his elbows against the desk. "You're telling me that Scott, my brother, has a girlfriend?"

"See what you miss when you don't visit," Melissa remarked. Aster whined into the phone, begging for more information about the girl that Scott had an interest in. "Fine, stop being a baby about it. It's this new girl. He said her name was Allison. They went to a party together the other night."

"Is she nice?" Aster asked.

"I don't know, I haven't met her yet," Melissa answered. A short pause overcame the mother and son. "We most likely will during the game."

"Okay, I get it," Aster declared with a chuckle. A knock on his desk made his focus shift from his mother on the phone to the Sheriff who stood in front of him. "Mom, I'll see you later at the game, okay? I gotta go, the Sheriff's waiting."

"Okay, you better show up, Aster!" Melissa announced. "And be safe. I love you."

"Love you too," Aster responded before ending the call and looking at Noah. "What's up, Sheriff?"

"We've got a suspect," Noah asserted. He sucked in a worried breath, slightly fearing about how Aster would react. "But you're not going to like who it is." Aster raised a brow at him out of confusion.