5

I lost my appetite after that.

As time passed all the orphans gathered outside the big dining hall with the wooden tables and chairs. I walked down the marble stairs and saw how the wallpaper on the walls was about to fall off due to its bad conditions. This had been pretty once, that was clear. Even though we clean this place often it could never return back to its original, fancy state.

"Alright come on! Hurry up! My grandma walks faster than that!" Mr. Charles could be heard along the halls as girls and boys flooded into the dining hall to get a little bit of food. The oldest came in first as they knew that the first ones there would get the bigger portion of food.

"I bet it's mashed potatoes again" A little girl said to her friends as they walked in.

I quickly hurried forward into the crowd to get at least a little more food than usual. My stomach felt like it was on the verge of eating itself as I haven't had any breakfast or lunch.

"Hey! Watch it!" I heard it coming from a guy behind me as I accidentally pushed him in a hurry of a plate. When I came forward I quickly took a plate, got my food and took a seat by a table.

The dinner went by quickly as Mr. Charles then gathered the girls outside the dining hall. The marble stairs were shimmering in the night light of the moon that had just raised above the horizon.

"Alright brats, let's get this over with" He said as he brought up a paper of assignments for either punishments or homes. He started pointing at some and naming an address, the little girls quickly trying to remember what he just said as he wouldn't repeat himself.

He went through rows of girls that were standing in perfect distance to each other in age order, just how he liked it. His eyes wandered around the girls searching for someone.

"Where is that Y/n?" He asked.

"Or is she fucking late again, that bitch" He said to himself but everyone could hear it loud and clear. I slowly stepped through the crowd of girls and faced him.

"I'm here Mr. Charles" I said looking up to him as a grin came to his face.

"Oh there you are, since you have been so fucking annoying the past week you're gonna get the biggest house, just so you will stay away from us extra long" He said with the grin as I heard girls around laugh slightly.

"200 Park Avenue, Avengers tower" He said as my eyes widened and others too. It almost felt like a privilege to go there.

"Don't get your hopes up, he wrote specifically that no one will be there. No one would like to have your dirty ass around when they are there" He said and noticed how my expectations lowered progressively, which progressively made him more satisfied.

"You think you can handle that?" He spoke and awaited the response. I felt how my heart sank a little, but that was what they wanted. Just a clean home, I wasn't there to socialize or meet anyone. Besides, no one would want to meet such a dirty orphan as me.

"Yes sir" I said and that wrapped up the night gathering, everyone went to their beds and prepared for the next day.

"Could you believe she got the Avengers tower?!" A girl said going into the bedroom.

"Well I wouldn't want to, imagine cleaning that huge place" The other girl responded.

"True, what a loser" They laughed and sat down at the beds I just folded nicely.

I passed them as I went to my bed, reassured that the little paper was still in its place before going to brush my teeth and go to bed, tomorrow was going to be a long day. Usually in big homes there are three or four orphans working on it at the same time, of course I got the tower alone as a punishment.

Just as I walked into the bathroom a laughter stopped as eyes turned to me, it was obvious they had just talked about me. I looked at one of the girls and she almost couldn't hold in her laughter.

B%#CH.

I quickly got myself ready and fell asleep pretty quickly.

The next morning a big bell rang and I quickly looked around to see if I had overslept again but got myself a sigh of relief when I saw the other girls in the orphanage slowly waking up and getting out of their beds.

I put on the shirt and skirt that I had been wearing since forever. It was beige and dirty with small dirt stains and a few holes at the hem. I released a sigh once again as I rubbed my eyes awake and thought of when I should be leaving to not get so late since we all had to walk to our homes. I figured it was a bunch of blocks away but I was sure it wouldn't take me more than 45 min.

We all came down to breakfast and ate fast, I couldn't help to feel a bit down. The home I had been cleaning before had been the worst possible and although they were superheros I let thought run into my mind.

After breakfast I quickly grabbed my bag full of cleaning supplies and headed to the tower, the sun was beginning to rise above the horizon in the distance and gave me some hope at least. The city was also very quiet but I wouldn't blame them, I wouldn't want to be up by 7:30 either on a summer day.

I started walking past stores and parks as i passed blocks. Looking in all the windows where mannequins stood posing in the best outfits and bags to show off the store's rich brand. I walked past cafe's with the most delicious things in the displays, of course it was closed but I could still see in. I couldn't help but to imagine myself walking around here wit my mom, enjoying a stop at a cafe before continuing our walk around New York City.

After a good 35 minutes I could see the Avenger's tower above a building reaching over the clouds almost. It felt so big in comparison to the other building that it could be a joke. Quickly I rushed towards it seeing the time and headed towards the door, a heavy and secured door had me locked out. I pressed a doorbell and waited.

Suddenly a robot-like voice plopped up on a screen above the doorbell.

"Good morning. I am Jarvis, how may I assist you?" The screen said, I just stayed quiet for a little minute as I had never seen this technology before.

"Uh.. I am here to clean" I said with an unsure voice, didn't know if it could actually understand what I had just said.

"Certianally, welcome in!" He said and the door opened by itself, my eyes were still in a little shock of how it worked but I stepped in and saw the elevator. I stepped into it and as I was going to press a button it automatically pressed one. I recoiled from what it had just done and raised an eyebrow when the door closed. It must have been that robot man J..uh... Jarvis!

I expected it to go quickly but I ended up standing in the elevator for a whole minute and a half to finally reach the floor that the robot had directed me to clean. And I understood why. When the metal doors opened I could see a huge floor with a kitchen and a hang out area full of trash and fast food containers. The kitchen was a mess of dishes and there was just dust everywhere.

I frowned a little at the sight of how the heroes had made this such a filthy place and so I dropped my bag and started to pick up the trash from the sofa and floor that they had left while eating some fast food.

Gosh..

I then threw it all away in the bin and took out my cleaning spray to spray the living room table clean. I sprayed it and started to wipe it with a cloth.

Click.

My eyes widened in fear as I heard a gun load sound right behind me.