Chapter 39: To See You Again

Master Yoda had been speaking with Qui-Gon for a while, Anakin discovered. They had been trying to develop Obi-Wan's ability to see and hear him; as it turned out, Anakin and Obi-Wan achieved it at around the same time. Thereafter their missing friend would appear at intervals, sometimes to only one or two of them, sometimes instructing all three of them as a group.

One day when Anakin was alone with Qui-Gon, the talk turned to Anakin's questions about the afterlife, what it was like, and why this had never happened before.

"The veil between my realm and yours is thick, Anakin, and not easily breached," said Qui-Gon as they walked through the gardens together.

"But I  can see you," said Anakin. "You mean, if some other Jedi came along just now, I'd look like I was talking to myself?"

Qui-Gon smiled tolerantly. Anakin thought about that for a moment, and stuck his head around a tree to peer up and down the path.

Qui-Gon laughed. "That you can see me depends upon your ability to see me, and my ability to help  you see me."

"I don't understand. What is it about everyone else that doesn't allow them to see you?"

"Their ability to touch the very highest vibrations of the light side. I'm sure Sidious told you how different dark emotions harness more and more of the dark side's power. It's the same with us, Anakin. Purity of heart -- and the ability to love all beings. That  makes up your end of the equation. That  boosts your ability to touch the vibrations of Light that we reside in."

"What about your part? And who's 'we?'"

"My part," said Qui-Gon. "That was difficult. I'm not sure I can even explain it to you."

"But I want to know," said Anakin. "I want to know how to retain my identity after I die."

"Oh, that's not the problem," said Qui-Gon. "No one ceases to be after they die, Anakin -- unless they choose to. You come to a different place, a place much better than this, but you still exist, and you're still you. We are luminous beings. We can never 'not be.'"

Anakin wrinkled his forehead. "But that's not what we've been taught ..."

"Of course it wouldn't be. How would anyone have been able to teach you differently?"

"So ..." said Anakin. "Every Jedi who's ever died. They exist with you, right now?"

"Yes." Qui-Gon's eyes twinkled -- literally. "Is there anyone you'd like me to carry a message to?"

"But ..." Anakin was finding this all very difficult to take in. "But Master Yoda always said that when we die we become one with the Force."

"We're always one with the Force, Anakin. Even though it may not seem that way. Look at your Sith master, Sidious, on Korriban. No one had to teach him how to 'remain himself,' did they?"

Anakin shook his head. He didn't want to feel this sudden hostility that welled up in him, not towards Master Qui-Gon, but this -- this was sacrilege!

"Anakin, why do you think we say it? 'There is no death --'"

"'There is the Force,'" Anakin finished. And it made some sense, or it could  make sense -- if only the Sith weren't trapped in the Temple. If there was only the Force, what explained that?

Then some inkling of an explanation occurred to him. One he would keep silent ... and think about.

"What about Darth Plagueis?" he asked suddenly.

"That was a special case. He chose  to become one with the Uncreated Mass of the Force. One can do that, if one wishes. I'm sorry he did. I should have liked to know him better."