Chapter 9

A\N: Happy New Year!! 🥳  And thank you so much for 100 reads!

Another Monday brings another wave of misery and dread.

But who can blame me? Monday is the first day of the week back at school, not to mention the horrendous timetable and the appalling subjects I have today.

But this Monday is even worse than all the others. Because I can't stop thinking about the events that happened during the weekend.

First, there's Ruby. Shamelessly making out with Zac at the social like they've been dating for way longer than 4 days. She barely even acknowledged me at all, too busy with her shiny new boyfriend. If they've even bothered to label themselves before hooking up.

Am I being unfair towards her because of my own feelings? Well, maybe just a bit.

Then, there's the other problem. The root of all my problems. Elena Quinn.

At the social on Saturday, she'd acted all friendly for a while and I even thought for one weak moment that we could maybe possibly be friends. But then she took a 360º turn and issued me the third dare. While I was near tears, might I add! I mean, come on, read the room.

And now, she's ignoring me. Ghosting me. Purposefully not talking to me. Whatever you want to call it.

Ever since the social, she's stopped texting me. At all. When she's been reminding me nonstop about my dares for the past week every single day. Which begs one to wonder, what changed? Has she simply gotten bored of this stupid farce, like I'd hoped?

I thought that I will finally find my answer when I get to school on Monday, but no. All through art, she has ignored my attempts to talk to her, and since we don't have many other lessons together, it's near impossible to find her again when she doesn't want to be found.

Therefore, I have come to the decision that I will simply corner her after school. Not that I'm a stalker, of course not! It's just that I deserve an explanation, don't I? Don't I? Elena's the one who insisted on this little game of dares, and now she better owns up to it.

Straight after my last lesson, which is biology (urgh), I race to the music department, taking a wild guess that Elena would go there after class too. She did tell me she plays the violin, and most students would practice after school. Not to mention Elena was at the music department too last Monday, so based on those assumptions alone, I'm hoping that I'll be able to find her there.

True to my predictions, Elena arrives just a few minutes after me. I jump out from the music practice room where I've been practising piano in the meantime as soon as I see her enter, not giving her a chance to avoid answering my questions.

"Elena!" I yell, perhaps a bit too loud. She jumps back, clearly startled, but then she quickly finds her composure again.

"Yes, Isla?" Elena asks in an annoyed tone, her words clipped. "What is it? I'm busy."

I cross my arms, not fazed by her attitude. "You've been ignoring me all day," I accuse in a slightly quieter voice, aware that other students are practising and the walls in the music department are too thin and not soundproof at all.

"That's cause we don't have the same lessons together."

"That's no excuse. You don't reply to my messages."

Elena rolls her eyes and sighs at me like I'm an ignorant child. "Contrary to popular belief, I don't go on my phone or my iPad 24/7; I actually listen in class and do my work. Most of the time, at least," she adds as an afterthought.