chapter one | 𝐬𝐮𝐳𝐢𝐞 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐲?

POLLY HOPPER SAT ON THE SECOND HAND SOFA, that her father had found at some old junk yard while fishing for furniture they could use in their small cabin

POLLY HOPPER SAT ON THE SECOND HAND SOFA, that her father had found at some old junk yard while fishing for furniture they could use in their small cabin. she was currently attempting to tape back together her walkman, to her dismay it had broken after she accidentally stepped on the thin headband with her scuffed converse. she had now learned her lesson not to leave it on her bedroom floor in the future.

slowly her sister emerged from the dining table behind her, she put the dirty plate in her hand, which she had previously been eating waffles on, next to the sink then walked over to the telephone on the wall and started to dial a number. polly turned around to look at her, squinting as the morning sun shone through the curtains of the small kitchen and hit her eyes.

"who you callin?"

"mike."

"corse" she laughed turning back around and continuing to wrap tape around the plastic of the headphones.

her sister was called el, short for eleven. her dad, jim, was the town's chief of police. because of this he was dragged into many secret missions in the past two years that polly begged to be apart of, including monsters, missing people, a group of teens, openings to an alternate dimension and a secret government lab, which had been previously testing on children with "abilities" like el.

her and jim had met el briefly after she had helped find two kids that had vanished into thin air with her telekinesis but she herself vanished not long after they were found and was unheard of for about a month. that was until the christmas season that year, jim decided to leave a small plate of "eggos" out in the woods as an attempt to find the girl knowing they were her favourite food. his plan had worked and el was found snacking on the bait sat amongst the cold december snow. the hoppers took eleven in under their wing to help protect her incase "bad men" as she called them somehow found her and tried to take her back for more testing.

however one thing her dad could not protect her from was michael wheeler. el's boyfriend. mike was one the first people eleven had met after she escaped the lab and the two apparently shared their first kiss together right before she went missing.

polly thought they were cute and he obviously made the younger girl very happy, she could always hear them giggling or whispering about something in el's bedroom and they spent every minute they could together, pissing off jim. but polly didn't mind the boy, yeah he seemed awkward, had a funny hair cut and some questionable outfit choices but as long as eleven was happy she didn't really care.

after she was done calling mike and snickering about whatever cheesy joke he told her, el sat herself down on the sofa next to polly.

"still broken?" she said looking down at the walkman,

"yeah" polly sighed, "i think i might have enough money saved up to buy a new one though. i'll go to the mall later today when your out with your friends."