chapter three | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐝

THAT NIGHT, polly came home to the sound of trashy pop music seeping through the crack of eleven's bedroom door

THAT NIGHT, polly came home to the sound of trashy pop music seeping through the crack of eleven's bedroom door. the sound of a familiar little girls giggles could be heard too, max mayfield was thudding around el's room, hairbrush in hand. the redhead was singing along to maddona's "angel" and el had a front row ticket to her imaginary concert.

polly was slightly surprised at the pairing, as the duo had never really seemed to get along before this. however she couldn't complain, el had been around almost only boys her whole life. she was glad that eleven had another girl influence other then herself.

the seventeen year old smiled to herself before fixing a snack and strolling into her own bedroom, shutting the door gently so she didn't disturb any gossip sessions that could possibly be happening in the room next to her. she reached down to her walkman that was currently sitting in her back pocket, and pulled it out, as well as reaching for a random tape that sat on her desk. the walkman clicked as she fitted the tape inside it and the girl slid the headphones over her ears.

"imagine me and you, i do"

"i think about you day and night, it's only right"

"happy together" by the turtles flooded her ears as she led down on her mattress.

"to think about the girl you love, and hold her tight"

"so happy together"

whenever polly listened to love songs like these, she always couldn't help but wonder who they were talking about. the backstory behind it all. did the girl even love him back? how did he even meet this girl? had he loved other girls like this in the past or is love like this just a one time thing?

polly wished someone loved her as much as howard kaylan, the lead singer, loved this girl. because of this, she led on her side and attempted to picture her dream man, one who was this lovestruck about her. however, every time she tried they all seemed unattractive and boring. she thought maybe it was because they weren't actually real men, just ones she had imagined.

the more she thought about it, the more she realised she had never really met a man that she was interested in at all. she flicked through all the supposedly "hot" boys in her year group, trying to make out their faces in her mind and figure out whether or not they were crush material. nothing.

what the fuck?

whats the fuck was going on? why couldn't she like any of them? the girls in the cheer team all make it look so fucking easy?! going around smushing faces with their jock boyfriends, practically sucking each other's mouths off behind the bleachers. why did the thought of herself doing that make her want to projectile vomit?