Chapter 26

"Can I try on your mask Party?"

"Not right now Girlie, maybe later".

Frank gazed up from his book to see Poison waltz into the kitchen, The Girl perched on their hip as they grabbed an apple out of a small fruit bowl they had on the counter. They took a bite out of it, then passed it to The Girl who did the same, passing it back to Poison when she was finished. She giggled, seemingly thrilled by the piece of fruit they'd just given her, its juice running down her chin as she laughed. He heard Poison give a sarcastic scoff as they grabbed a cloth from near the sink, dabbing it over her mouth and chin, ignoring her protests as she batted at their hand. They smiled softly down at her and leaned down slightly to plant a small kiss on top of her hair. Frank smirked to himself. They loved seeing this side of them.

"How's your shooting going Girlie?", Poison asked, going back to eating their apple. "Kobra teaching you good?"

She nodded excitingly. "I'm gonna be better than him someday, or at least that's what Jet told me".

"Did he now?", came Kobra's voice as he hopped down the stairs and into the room. "Well well well, talking shit behind my back are we Jet?"

Jet chuckled as he followed him down, a bunch of paper in his clutch. "You should see her Kid, she's a natural". Jet gave her a wink and she clapped excitedly. "Hits the target almost every time".

"Believe it or not, I have seen her, given that it is I who is teaching her". He ended up standing next to Poison, reaching out giving her head a pat. "Although I agree she is definitely a natural, calling her a better shot than me is a bit of a bold statement".

"I didn't say she is a better shot, I said she will be", Jet corrected, pointing over at him with a playful smirk. "But I guess we'll just have to see, won't we?"

Jet took a seat in the booth, setting the papers down in front of him, lying them down in order and starting to read through them. Kobra grabbed a glass out of the press and filled it with water, walking over Frank's way and taking a seat in the couch next to him. Poison took a final bite of their apple and then threw the core into the bin, The Girl still in their arms, curling her finger in their hair almost unconsciously as she gazed around the room. Her eyes landed on Frank and he gave her an exaggerated wink from behind his book, making her laugh.

"I want to go to Ghoul", she announced, letting go of their hair and pushing away from them.

"All right all right, one second". They lowered her down gently to the ground and she sprinted over Frank's way. He put his book down onto his lap and opened his arms, sweeping her off the floor and onto the couch with him, making her scream with joy. From the corner of his eye, he saw Poison smile softly at him and his gave heart tiny jump.

"Hey Girlie, what's up?", he asked as she nestled into his arms, him putting his book onto the table in front of them and settling back into the couch with her.

"Party is being annoying", she grumbled, turning her head into Frank's chest with crossed arms.

Frank laughed, Poison joining him as they walked over their way. "What have I done to you?  I don't think I've been anything short of courteous", they said, their tone in mock offence.

She peeked an eye out at them. "You won't let me wear your mask", she pouted. "You never let me wear it".

Frank's eyebrows pinched together as he frowned teasingly at them. "Why Poison that is just positively unkind".

"Trying to get that mask off of Poison is harder than convincing an atheist to pray", Kobra declared. "Sorry Girl, you're out of luck there".

Poison rolled their eyes as they kneeled down beside Frank, rubbing The Girl's back soothingly. "Sorry Girlie, you know this mask is off limits, she stays on at all times". She didn't stir. "But how about this? We'll make you one of your own tomorrow. I'll get the supplies early in the morning at Chow Mein's and we'll make one even nicer than mine".