The Joke

The sun made its way towards the horizon, saying goodbye to their world for now. With it, a shadow made its way up to the crow's nest, rope in hand. Joel, standing on the upper level near the wheel, saw it, but paid it no mind. A little scare would be good for the crew, keep them on guard. They could certainly use it in the seas they were aiming towards.

          Opposite from him and on the lower level, the door to the crew's chambers opened, and a certain wizard emerged. He walked across the lower levels towards Joel, giving a wide berth to the crow's nest. Joel gave a small smile at Scar's actions.

          After today, he probably wouldn't do it to Scar. Then again, that doesn't mean he doesn't have something else planned.

          Scar climbed the few steps to the upper level, then came over and leaned on the railing next to Joel. For a few minutes, they both gazed out at the water, and then Joel spoke.

          "Feeling better, Scar?" he asked quietly. The wizard might act happy-go-lucky all the time, but that didn't mean the day's events didn't affect him.

          Scar shrugged. "For the most part. I mean, those seconds where I couldn't use my magic were kind of terrifying."

          Joel winced. "Yeah, sorry about that, Scar. I wasn't thinking straight."

          Scar turned towards Joel and gave him a smile. "It's alright. I don't think any of us were thinking right." He patted Joel's shoulder, then his smile brightened. "In fact, I think you bought me some time by pulling me down. I know you think it's second nature, but really it would have taken me a second to think of the spell, and by then they would have pulled me up."

          A weight lifted off Joel's heart at the words, and his countenance visibly improved. He glanced towards Scar, the smile on his lips genuine now. "That's certainly a relief," he sighed. He gave a stressed little chuckle. "Thought I was gonna lose one of my crew for a second there."

          Scar's eyebrows pulled down into an expression of concern, little worry lines forming around his now frowning mouth. "Well, you didn't, and even if they had mugged me, you would have been up there beating them to a pulp in seconds. So I wasn't in danger even for a second."

          "Hmm," Joel considered Scar's words. "Thank you Scar, I think I feel better now."

          Scar grinned. "Of course you do! Now, d'you wanna see my hat?"

          Joel blinked in surprise. "You've finished it already?"

          The wizard waved his hand. "Of course! What is magic for? Now, come on!" He tugged on Joel's wrist, leading him down the steps. 

          "I'm beginning to think that's just an excuse to overwork yourself," Joel commented as he tried not to stumble at the speed Scar was going. Scar shushed him, gesturing to the empty deck around them.

          "Don't go saying that! People might hear!" 

          Joel snorted. "Scar, only one person is out here, and I don't think he'll be revealing your secrets." Hmm. That gives me an idea.

          As they came near the crow's nest, Joel sped up to get in front of Scar and started leading him straight towards it. Scar raised an eyebrow at his captain's actions, but followed him anyway.

          They passed underneath the crow's nest where the aforementioned person was lurking, and Joel paused and said, "Etho, if you try to grab me with that rope, I will slice it into pieces so small it won't be good for even tying knots."