Across the Waters

“What is this triangular mark on your neck, Joe?”

Four boats were going to the other side. There wasn’t any distinction between the girls and the boys so they sat together. James and Joe were on the second boat.
Although Joe was happy to get a chance to see the castle he couldn’t remove his eyes off the little fishing village. A few people were living there mainly the fishermen and their families.  What once was or looked like a quite cosy dwelling place for locals and villagers of the area now were mainly in ruins. An old sign board read Village Nicobari, and below it was a recently updated sign board, that read Camp Fast Port. This could only mean, that the camp was recently established on the hills to attract tourists to the, once upon a time, hill station.
The river was deep, the river was wide, and the waters felt alive. There was life below it, judging by the little colourful fishes that swam just below the surface of the waters. The children put their hands in the water and let it sway. It was a quite peaceful and decent ride.  The fishermen on the boat were quite friendly and began to ask the kids a few questions.
“So kids, you enjoying the place?” he asked.
“Yes,” they all said.
“I advise you not to shake the boat too much or else we might topple over,” he said.

“Do you live here?” asked a girl from the back.
“Why, yes I do. I live with my family here in the little village.” the fisherman replied.
“So you are a fisherman?”
“Yes, I am. I've been one since I was a wee lad.  Dad and I used to come out here on the river to fish and gather the best and sell it in the market in the next town. Those were good old days,” said the fisherman.  "Just me, Dad, lil’ Sea Queen, my boat here and the river all to ourselves. Well, there were many others but it's just us four kids you see riding the boats here and our families that are still here.”
"What about the other village folk?” asked curious Dhariya.
“Ah! That's a story for another time.”
“Why not now?”
“Cause it ain't the right place or time to tell thee?”
“We are alone in a boat out in the open river, what could happen?"
"Again I can't talk about that, especially on these waters, but will tell you the tale soon,” said the fisherman being a bit cautious. “Why don’t you introduce yourselves.”
As everyone introduced themselves, the fisherman gave close attention to their names as if to expect a particular name. In the end, it was Joe Fernandes who introduced himself last.  As soon as all were finished he asked Joe his name again, changing his reaction, his facial expression.
"Pardon me as I didn't quite hear your name,” he said
”It's Joe, Joe Fernandes."
Now his expression was very strange indeed. He was looking a bit afraid as if he had just seen a ghost and looked to the waters below, still rowing the boat.
"Why, did I say something wrong?"
"Uh, no, I just remembered one of the many fishing experiences I had. I know it was a bit weird but it just passed my mind. Sorry!!”
"That's alright," said Joe, a little concerned about the fact that the man would remember a fishing experience on saying his name.
"Ah, we're here…….”
Sir Ethan was right, it was something unused for a century. The atmosphere was filled with a dark, mysterious and yet haunted ambience. It was so quiet that you could hear the breaking of the tiny twigs that the kids stepped on. The only other sounds one could hear were the talking of the children and the sound of the flowing waters. The castle was huge and an ancient relic. The boats were tied near the stone dock that lay there. There was also an old wreckage of a little boat that lay still there, covered in moss and wines.
"Don't touch anything,” were the teacher's orders but the lil’ explorer couldn't resist himself. 
He went towards the old wreck pulled down some of the wines and dusted the wood. To his expectation, he found what he was looking for. A painted carving of Sir Ronald George's name was engraved on the side of the boat with his initials. "So Sir wasn't joking," said Dhariya now in fear. "The legend is true."
“So you kids have heard about the old man's legend?”  asked the fisherman who was on Joe’s boat.
“Some curious kids had to ask,” said Sir Ethan. “Hmm. Tell you what, why don't you and the kids go inside while me and my boys stay here with the boats” the fisherman said.
“You are not coming in?” asked James.
“Nah you guys go on ahead, we will take care of ourselves here," he continued. 
“Is the scientist in?”  asked the guide master.
“He should be. He only comes out to fish. We haven't seen or heard him otherwise. Even if he is around he'd be in discrete mode. No one knows anything about him, and no one wants to.” answered another fisherman.
‘So this guy is mysterious after all, thought Joe. I knew there was something strange about this place.  Hang on, why would he have both a 4x4 truck and a Heavy-duty cargo truck? That one is the size of a whale!’
Knock Knock
No reply ?? The teacher banged the ring again. Knock knock!!
A loud creaking noise was heard as the huge (remade) Castle doors opened up. From the darkness came walking out a man dressed in a lab coat, with unset greyish-black hair and wearing gloves on both hands. He also wore chemistry and eye protection glasses.