Chapter 2: Great Expotations

"Cassie, do I have to help you set up?? I always help and never get to enjoy the actual expo!"

Ophelia pouted. She wanted to see the displays! Especially Dr. Enrique Rivera. He was a brilliant man with a rich anatomical knowledge, and rumor has it he's here with a book of all he knows about medicinal practices. Ophelia's father even agreed to pay for it and gave her some money!! But she knows he'll leave after the invention convention of the expo....

Cass shoots Ophelia a glare. "You're complaining?? I have to do way more than you and I'm a lady and waiting almost every day. Besides, at least you're not up on the ladder. You're just sweeping."

Ophelia grumbles and mutters as she resumes sweeping in the courtyard. The ground is a somewhat dusty sandy cobble. It's outdoors, but still as classy as in indoor restaurant, with tables as far as the eye can see. Cassandra hops off the ladder and leaves to go hang more banners, but the one she just tied begins to droop. Ophelia doesn't see it, but someone else does.

Varian, who was preparing, and showing off his display, was on the hunt for Cassandra. From her inky black bob, her slight muscle, her dark hazel eyes, it's just- wow. Cass is the prettiest girl he's ever seen in his LIFE. And he had a very special surprise for her, a token of gratitude or saving him even after he made that mess. But alas no Cassandra to be found.

Still, he saw the drooping banner, and with the help of Owl, hung it up again. Ophelia glanced up and was quite surprised at his sudden appearance.

"Varian? What are you doing here in the courtyard? The expo is in the main city! This set up here is just for esteemed guests." She called up to him. He looked down and waved at her with a bright smile before gripping the post again.

"I'm looking for Cass! Seen her anywhere?"

Before Ophelia could reply, Rapunzel and Eugene entered the courtyard.

"Hey! Looking good Cass!" Rapunzel called up to Varian on the ladder. When he turned his head she realized it was him, not Cass.

"Oh- Varian! So nice to see you! What are you doing here?" Varian climbed down the ladder as Rapunzel waved to him.

"Hey! I would never miss a chance to promote the merits of alchemy! I'm here for the expo." Varian gestured to his invention, which was in a little pull wagon and had a cloth over it, covering its discernable features and making it more of a- spherical entity- then anything.

Ophelia, feeling excited, goes back and forth on her heels, bouncing in place.

"Forget Alchemy! No offense- heh- but Dr. Enrique Rivera of Galcrest is coming!! He has revolutionized the world of medicine, specifically surgery and-"

Ophelia then realized she was rambling and shut up, turning a deep shade of red and scratching the back of her head as she glanced at the floor.

"Sorry... uhm- he's cool."

Rapunzel and Eugene seemed to move on, though they did find her tidbit about Dr. Rivera interested and went to check him out. But Varian stood there for a moment in minor awe. He'd never really seen anyone else as nerdy as he was.

"You said he revolutionized surgery-? Well, how so."

He leaned on his invention and proceeded to fall on his butt, causing Ophelia to burst into laughter.

"Pfft! Are you okay? And I'll tell you later. It's interesting but if I start again I won't stop."

She reaches out a hand to help him up, Varian also makes the observation that they both wear gloves. Her gloves are a soft velvet, and white. His gloves are more suited for hard work and spill, they're thick and to some degree, rough. They're a darker brown color.