Chapter 2 - At All Costs

"Asha, sweetie," Queen Amaya giggled, shutting her book. "I can hear you outside the door."

As a young child, it took the princess several months to grow used to living with a new family, let alone royalty.

"Come sit with me," the queen requested, watching as the door to her private study cracked open ever so slowly. The kitten on her lap hopped down and stretched, choosing to lay closer to the fireplace. "If it helps any, I can't sleep either."

"Why?" Asha peeped from behind the door.

Amaya set her current read to the side. "The king and I had a little disagreement," she admitted. "Nothing to worry about."

Curious as ever, Asha stepped further into the room. "Why?" she repeated. The doors to the balcony were open, revealing a beautiful array of stars nestled in the night skies above.

"Someone wasn't happy about their wish not being granted, and your dad and I had to... be adults and sort it out."

The full moon's soft glow filtered into the chamber. "Why?"

"Not all wishes are meant to be granted, Asha. The three of us must put Rosas' safety first."

"Why?"

Amaya offered her hand to the princess. "You'll understand when you're older."

The girl continued forward, cautiously reaching for her adopted mother's outstretched hand.

"When things like this happen, he and I take time to defuse. Sometimes I read, sometimes I sing. Sometimes I look at the stars. It all depends, really."

Asha's brow furrowed. "What can the stars do?"

Amaya hesitated. "The stars have a way of guiding people," she described, turning to look out the window. "Aren't they beautiful?"

The orphan nodded in agreement, taking Amaya's hand and climbing up onto her lap. At first, Rosas' queen wasn't sure how to proceed. Feeling a sudden sense of serenity, she inhaled sharply before singing a lullaby:

"Promise as one does
I will protect you at all costs
Keep you safe here in my arms
I will protect you at all costs
At all costs..."

Asha leaned into the woman's chest, her gaze never leaving Amaya.

"If you're ever feeling like you're lost
I'll come find you
Man all fronts
There's no ocean I won't swim across, to be right by you, and not just once
Here and now I swear on my response
I'll remind you..."

Amaya continued, gently stroking the child's head. Eventually, Asha yawned and shut her eyes.

"And promise as one does
I will protect you at all costs
Keep you safe here in my arms
I will protect you at all costs, at all costs..."

Wearing a loving smile, the queen wrapped both arms around her daughter, the two falling fast asleep moments later.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.