Chapter 6 - Knowing What I Know Now

The exact moment the dungeon doors closed behind Amaya, Star leapt out of Asha's pocket, magically transforming back to his usual form after spending the previous hour as a hummingbird.

The sickening sight of Asha and Valentino both unconscious broke Star's heart.

Star tried to wake them, but to no avail.

With determination, he transfigured into a glimmering butterfly, navigating through the cell bars, escaping through a small window, and soaring into the expansive night sky.

. ・。 . ・゜ ✭ ・ . ・ ✫ ・゜・。 .

"Ahhh," Dahlia smiled in ecstasy. "As requested, a fresh batch of cookies to share."

The group of teenagers gathered around the kitchen island, eagerly anticipating Dahlia's freshly baked treats. As she placed the tray of warm desserts in their midst, some couldn't help but observe a noticeable difference between this latest batch and the one from before.

"Not Magnifico shaped this time, Dahlia?" Hal inquired, grabbing one of the cookies and observing its new appearance.

"Call it laziness," Dahlia remarked.

Gabo chuckled, taking a bite. "Any particular reason you chose star-shaped?"

Safi sneezed before commenting, "Isn't that obvious, dude?"

"Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask."

"So, like, has anyone seen Asha today?" Dario impolitely asked after shoving several cookies into his mouth at once.

Which was a poor decision, really, because half a second later, Star was racing into the kitchen through a window and bombarding Dahlia, causing Dario to choke on his snack. For a brief moment, the baker panicked until she realized it was just the magic star-boy she'd met earlier in the day.

Her friends on the other hand seemed mortified, with Hal performing the Heimlich maneuver on Dario.

"Hey, Dahlia!" Bazeema gasped. "What is going on?!"

Silent urgency filled the deity's expressive eyes as he gestured frantically, trying to convey the danger Asha was in. Through a series of determined motions, intense facial expressions and many transformations, he communicated the need for immediate action to Dahlia, compelling her to follow him.

"Asha needs our help," was all Dahlia said to her friends, which she soon realized still left them in the dark. "Oh, this is Star."

Star waved at them, yellow glitter fluttering to the ground as his hand moved.

"They're friends with Asha."

"You could have mentioned that sooner!" Gabo growled. "No wonder you were acting so weird today."

"Wait," Simon interjected, appearing more awake than ever. "Did you say Asha needs our help?"

Star and Dahlia nodded.

The group made their way to the dungeon, Dahlia halting her companions at the sight of a couple guards positioned at its entrance.

"I can lead them away," Gabo proclaimed, rolling up his sleeves.

"Are you sure?" Hal responded.

The boy scoffed in response, cracking his knuckles. "Are you questioning me?"

"Yeah, actually. I am."

"I can help," Bazeema softly spoke up, surprising her comrades as her cheeks turned bright red. "Unless you don't think you'll need me."