3 - J U D S O N

The room was fairly dark, but Judson could clearly see Astraline's gaze. She had worn the same stunned expression since they left the court.

As a matter of fact, everyone did, excluding HalfHyde and Luanda. Given his new position, the Half-Elf had gone to the estate to discuss his duties and had surprisingly beckoned on Judson, whose scalp had prickled with embarrassment from the numerous curious stares he received when he tailed the royal parade. It was for this reason he brought Astraline along.

For the past few minutes, HalfHyde, Luanda, and a few of the King's advisors he did not know were present, had confined themselves to an inner chamber, leaving him with an oogling She-Elf.

At last, he heaved a sigh. "You may ask whatever you wish, Astraline."

Immediately, she opened her mouth, only for it to shut again in confusion. She battled visibly for minutes before calming.

"Is it really true?" Her frown was worried. "All of it?"

He nodded. "It is."

She whistled a sigh of relief. "I always suspected something was different about her. Her confidence and bravery was inhuman." Her face turned sad. "I feel guilty now, and I do not know if it is solely because I contributed to sending her off on a dangerous journey from which she didn't return, or that I didn't hug her goodbye, or both."

Judson smiled in encouragement. He understood the She-Elf's conflict. "Do not do that to yourself. Your efforts saved our lives, Astraline, and I am forever grateful."

With a nod, she managed a smile, but it fell soon. "What do you aim to do now?"

Intertwining his fingers, he leaned forward, appreciative of the cushion inside his seat. "Well, I intend to first hear from," He gestured to the direction of the inner chamber. "And then, I will decide."

"I am glad that Her Highness is willing to help." Astraline smiled. "It might not seem so yet, but more help will come your way in the future. Waverly's deeds has bought her more than enough. Good character always earns a lifesaving profit."

Soon enough, Judson was summoned into the inner chamber. He stood amidst tall, lordly men, staring meekly at them as they assessed him.

"You are certain he no longer hosts the Elemental, your ladyship?" An advisor asked Luanda.

She came forward and placed a hand on Judson's shoulder. "His quest to redeem himself was successful. He is free for eternity."

"Where on earth did you find the means to cleanse yourself of a chaotic godhead, young Shade?" Another inquired.

"The Mountain of Lore." HalfHyde gave the answer instead. The men's eyes widened all at once. "Long and perilous a journey it was and many things did they witness during that time, but it be only by the hand of fate their survival was sealed. Records of it all have I taken as it be that such occurrence never afore in history happened. The young Shade and my daughter have attained a height men may only dream of. . ."

His tone became downcast. "At the cost of my child's life."

"The young girl is dead then." The first advisor offered. There were six of them, but only two spoke frequently.

"No." Judson shook his head. He despised hearing people make that assumption, yet he could not blame them for making it. Even he was not certain of Waverly's fate.

He proceeded to tell them all he could remember about the ugly incident and was shocked by the silence that gripped the room. Never had he experienced such a level of attentiveness. It did make him relax - the fact that he was being heard - that he could make people listen. After his conclusion, the group stared at one another and seemed to be thinking deeply.