4 - J U D S O N

While his wounds were being properly tended to, Judson told Gazania about his meeting with Laerdan. Surprisingly, she did not deny any accusations, but claimed that she went against her husband because his ways made her uncomfortable.

"I could not get you a horse." He admitted. "I am very sorry."

Gazania shook her head, managing a warm smile. "For someone I just met only hours ago, you have already done more than enough."

She stared at Avalora, Laerdan's sister in-law, who sat by her side with one arm around her shoulder. Both woman held their waves of hair in the same fashion, but Avalora's was binded with a colorful material and her clothes were the same, indicating that she was a Gypsie Human. Her home was proof enough that she was part Ezkalien. Hoardes of magical items inside handcrafted bowls of clay, sticks of incense both burned and unburned, familiar statuettes of a familiar goddess and dangling trinkets from the wooden beams in her roof all pointed to the fact.

She was a worshipper of Hekate.

But it did not make him uncomfortable nor suspicious of her. As a matter of fact, it did not cross his mind to be. He only wondered if she could perform certain magic tricks like most Gypsies could; tricks that could possibly help Gazania or even shield her completely from her husband's reach. However, the idea was unlikely because he thought that if such a thing was possible, then Avalora would have wasted no time in casting a spell of protection over her friend. When he first came in, she had been furious over his wounds and Laerdan's goons for causing them, making him imagine just what she would have done in retaliation if she had the power.

He sighed and steered his focus on the pair again.

"You do not have to concern yourself with me anymore." Gazania went on, pleadingly. "Please, be on your way. Your kindness is enough, and I am grateful that you gave up your time and business to risk facing Laerdan's wrath for a woman you don't know. No one, not even the villagers here, have shown nearly as much concern toward me. I will go home and face my husband as I've always done, but now, I will do it with wisdom. You have made me realize that I can stand up to save myself. For that, you have my lifelong gratitude, Judson."

Judson inhaled and exhaled deeply. She was right. He would not be able to change Laerdan's mind, nor save her no matter how much he wanted to, but he had at least encouraged her to brave her marriage wisely, perhaps in ways that would lessen the chaos between her and her partner.

"Will you be alright?"

"Yes, I will." Gazania nodded and looked to Avalora beside her. "I can come visit Avalora as often as I wish. She helps me endure."

"As you say then." He said and rose. Gazania did likewise as did Avalora.

"Farewell." Both women bade.

With a nod, he headed outside and retrieved his satchel from where it was hidden. He skirted around the market to avoid running into any more of Laerdan's personnels, and with luck, ran into Bergor Oxborn instead in a field just as he was about to climb into a carriage.

When his eyes met Judson's, the man halted abruptly. His tone and face was unhappy. "I thought I asked you to leave this place, lad."

"I did leave. I might have forgotten something so I came back to check."

The sailor wagged a short finger, gesturing to the injuries on Judson's face. "How did all of that happen?"

"Nothing you should worry about. I will not waste your time, Bergor. I see you are headed somewhere. I come to ask one last favor."

"I've given all the favors I can, fella. There is nothing more I can do for you now."

"I need a map." Judson revealed. "A Hammitonian map."