11 - J U D S O N

Lady Maddei wore a heartwarming smile that made Judson wonder if she wanted to hug him, but she only stared like an old friend with whom he had suddenly reunited.

"It is wonderful to see you again after so long, your Majesty." He admitted. The Queen's presence did make him feel wonderful in a strange but vague way that reminded of their last meeting - when she had ignored what others magnified.

As she held out a sleeved hand, some parts of her attire caught the light and sent dull, lulling flashes across the room. "Will you supper with me?"

Judson opened his mouth to speak then shut it again. It did not seem like evening. Yet. But it was not his wish to refuse his host, so he nodded. And also, it was considered a great and rare opportunity to be personally invited to feast with the ruler of Crysoton.

"This is Qar." He introduced, suddenly remembering his friend. The aforementioned came forward and bowed until his forehead touched the floor.

Maddei's own head tilted in recognition. "A Burrower. I have not set eyes on your kind, Qar, since before the Great War of Realms. It is my pleasure that you have come and allowed my eyes behold your race again."

Qar grinned, yet remained speechless. He seemed to have not recovered from the blissfulness of basically everything around him.

"Come," Maddei urged. "There is room for every as long as he is hungry."

As they convoyed to the dining room, Judson finally saw the source of music - tall, stationary harps coated in gold. He gawked at the puny creatures hovering around and plucking at their strings. It was mind boggling how such tiny fingers could control strings so large. The throne room spilled into a different, incredibly spacious one that smelled faintly of dust and was filled to the brim with books, and Fairies. The stump of a kind of fat tree laid in the middle of the room encased in bulbous, luminous energy that Judson immediately recognized as godly aura though there was no god about who seemed to own it.

"Those who seek extraordinary knowledge must know where to find this room. All is welcome." Lady Maddei spoke as they exited the library.

Outside, Judson and Qar came to an abrupt halt. They had unexpectedly exited the tree. In the distance was a great, dark blue ocean: a setting orange-gold sun that ignited the horizon and plunged the realm into twilight, and spots of gray that he suspected was land atop the ocean.

"Caves." Maddei clarified, her hand clasped around the railing. Their emergence point was a balcony. "Our original home. They broke apart to form individual islands when the realm underwent a terrible earthshaking many ages ago."

Gliding about, she continued down the narrow porch of bark, branch and iron; her dress cascading in waves of color to shimmer off anything translucent enough to reflect light. A short flight of wooden stairs welcomed them into a roofless dining area, its floors strewn with brownish gold and green leaves, tiny flowers, and spots of ripe berries that Qar wasted no second in stuffing his mouth full of.

Judson grimaced at his behavior and their host noticed.

"They are fresh." She assured with a smile, gesturing to a slab of thick wood surrounded by seats. "Birds come to feed on them as well as hungry children. Do sit."

Judson slid into the one of a kind wooden stool. Similar to everything, it was a wholly natural seat because it protruded right out of its mother tree from which it was carved. Qar, with arm stock of berries, plopped beside him. The Queen was positioned oppositely, rays of weak yet beautiful sunlight highlighting her short hair from behind. He had begun to wonder where the food would come from when the area instantly became crowded by Crysotoni. All in human form.