12 - J U D S O N

It was more pleasant to follow Lica because the Derew knew her way around better; and stayed within sight and earshot, but they did not speak until a green field came to view. In Crysoton, green fields were as common as anything else, thus twas no amazement to come upon another after just coming out of one. Though the species of wildflowers and trees in them always varied. Since his arrival, Judson was yet to set eyes on two of the same kind of flowers.

As he and the nature spirit made descent, he caught sight of a particular kind: the pink of so richly deep and eye-catching; and its flowers that resembled a flurry of thin, mature stems held together into petals shaped like fat trays with spots of purple scattered about their surface. He walked to the cluster growing openly and knelt to inspect them.

"It is called Ëlfaë." Lica offered, going to peer closely at the flowers. "Breeze." She blew on them and altogether they rose upright, expanding with the wind like the turning pages of a book. A sweet odor came off of them and floated into Judson's nose, making him feel tired and sleepy, but the queer feeling disappeared when the scent faded.

"Ëlfaë is used to induce slumber." She explained further, caressing the flowers. They would spread apart in between her fingers and return to their natural form when she let go. "In those days when Crysotoni whispered healing secrets to the rest of the world, they told of many herbs, and trees, and flowers, but withheld from men the secret of Ëlfaë."

"Why?" He looked up at her.

"This flower does more than just induce sleep. It is mostly used to soothe a new mother to rest after laborous childbirth, but a slight overdose can immobilize the brain and send her into permanent sleep."

"Death?" He moved back subconsciously, eyeing the flowers.

"No." Lica chuckled. "An overdose will not bring death. Just long and deep slumber, until whenever the effects wear off. Did you know that right after they came into existence Crystal Fairies held a two-day feast in which, throughout, they unknowingly feasted on Ëlfaë?"

His eyebrows knotted and he rose, suddenly interested in the tale. "No, I did not know that. How unfortunate! How did they wake up?"

She floated around aimlessly. "When Ëlfaë eventually wore off, the Elves had coronated their fourth King."

A strange heaviness seized Judson's chest. On impulse, he glanced at the flowers. "How long was it in between?"

"Millions of years, perhaps." Lica also glanced at the flowers. "That is how powerful those lovely things are. It is the reason they are left to grow here in this field - never to be seen by outsiders. The Fairies do not eat them anymore. They've learned." She giggled. "In fact, they rarely have use for Ëlfaë nowadays, so they grow wild."

"Hm."

In the expansive mass of land, the flowers looked just as harmless and beautiful as those that surrounded it, but it was electrifying to think that they could hold so much power.

"Exceptional, isn't it?" Lica's voice broke through his thoughts, seizing his attention. Her gaze was firm. "That an extract from just one single flower can make such wonderful things to happen. They grow wild, yes, but Ëlfaë still stands alone and separated in this field. Do you wonder why?"

His head made to shake, but deep contemplation made his neck stiffen. "I do."

Lica floated forward, permitting a clearer view of her eyes. "Because they are special. Unique. Different. Ancient, too. They may mingle with those around them, but remain outstanding even then."

Judson eyed her for a count of five, sensing where the conversation would steer should he encourage it. Instead, he deviated. "Tell me how you came to be my nurse."