10 - J U D S O N

A long, audible grunt came out of Judson as he halted for the nth time, throwing his head back in frustration. He turned to stare at the Burrower far behind, who was devotedly lugging something along by a rope with obvious difficulty.

"Let it go already, will you, Qar?" He genuinely pleaded.

"I'm afraid I cannot, sire." Qar grunted, his voice heavy with effort. "It is much too lovely to leave carelessly lying about."

Judson's eyes had long turned to focus ahead, but he rolled them anyway. "It is an unuseful ornament."

Qar began to say something in protest, but he barely paid ear. Almost all of his attention was on the landscape ahead. Behind were the tallest woods from which they had just emerged and in front was the breathtaking view of a green valley stretched to the horizon. In the light of the morning sun, the valley seemed too bright even for his eyes. He squinted, lost in a sea of thoughts, but the sound of Qar's voice progressively drew his attention back.

". . . and that is why I believe such precious things should not be cast away."

Judson heaved a sigh before turning to face his companion. "Qar, I am afraid I missed your reasons. My mind wandered far."

Qar threw out a paw. "All alright, sire. Have you spied yet where the Valley is?"

"Yes," Judson nodded once. "Indeed I have."

The creature's eyes lit up. "Really? Where?"

With an arm outstretched, he ushered Qar forward. "If you will go to that boulder over there and climb on it, you would see for yourself."

A little gasp of awe left Qar as he sprinted on flat, padded feet, dropping the large pennant of his necklace. He reached the boulder and climbed with ease then stood up straight. With the sun on his face and the light on his coat, he appeared quite daring as well as astonished.

"By the pickle! Look at all of that beautiful beauty!" He exclaimed in a small, wistful voice. "Bless Nalie!"

Judson's grin was wide as he walked to a different boulder and sat on it, facing the horizon. Qar had a way of making smiles break on his face even when he did not feel up to cheer. He groaned as he stretched out. His feet were sore, he was awfully tired and desired undisturbed sleep. They had walked a few long miles without rest so as to arrive the famous Valley of The Living Oaks before it was too late.

And he prayed it was not.

"Sire?" Qar called, sliding off his own boulder. He made a knot around himself with the necklace and placed the brightly hued pendant on his chest region.

"Does this beauty compare to. . ."

He thinned his lips in silence when Judson suddenly turned to look at him.

"Compare to what?" Judson prompted, his expression easing. "Ask what you will, Qar."

The Burrower visibly relaxed. "Does this beauty compare to that of your dearest?"

Judson nodded knowingly, smiling. He had expected that to be Qar's question and that the creature had only hesitated because he knew just how sensitive the subject was. But he suspected that Qar loved to hear him talk about it because he was genuinely interested in the affairs of the heart.

"It does not." He replied, gazing into the sun rays around him. He could see through to the very fabric of light - tiny, numberless strands of colorless phenomenon that converged in straight lines.

"Tell of her again, sire." Qar requested, going to sit at Judson's feet.

The latter had granted the same request more times than he could count, but he did not mind granting it again. Qar made him feel comfortable talking about Waverly, and with how often he had to in the past few months, he discovered that he felt less pain and more hope. He no longer missed her in sad, depressing ways; instead his mood lightened whenever he thought of her. He remembered the happiest days, the toughest days, and the rare days when nothing happened at all; when they had both existed in peace and quiet.