Chapter 8

Nixx

Caden's pack was, as usual, bustling with activity and excitement.

People walked and ran around us, kids screamed and laughed as they played games wherever they pleased, and vendors sold everything and anything as they shouted words of persuasion to passersby. I could hardly move in the chaos.

"If we don't at least get some of Al's peppermint cookies out of this, I'll throw hands," Kyler muttered from beside me.

"When did you become such a crowd wuss?" I asked.

"Since I had nightmares about the last woman I encountered in one of these crowds," he grumbled with a shudder.

"Aw, are afraid another girl is going to touch your pride?" Rowan crooned from behind us.

Kyler scoffed. "My ass is not my pride, and I am not afraid."

"Right," Rowan said, leaning in to whisper, "Only of girls."

"I am not!"

"If you both don't shut up I'll make you sit back with Adrian until I'm done," I snapped.

Silence ensued, and my lips twitched. I bet they would rather eat their fur than sit with that man for more than a second.

"Who's Adrian?" Noella's quiet voice rang out.

With the mate bond echoing through my nerves with each passed minute, I would be lying if I said I forgot she was with us, but I couldn't say the same for Kyler and Rowan, who jumped at her voice.

"He's one of the three most trusted guards Caden has on patrol," I explained. "But he's also one of the most irritating."

"And rude," Rowan added.

"Don't forget completely self-centred and dickish," Kyler chimed in with a scowl.

"Talking about my best guard, I hear?" Caden asked as he appeared through the crowd.

Noella jumped, and instinct had my hand coming to her back before I ripped it away, careful to avoid her eyes. Instead, I glanced up at Caden, who didn't seem to be avoiding her eyes at all.

I swallowed the growl that forced itself up my throat as I gripped his hand.

"Good to see you, man." My words were calm, and collected despite the snarls that were ricocheting around in my head.

He smiled as he returned my handshake and asked, "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

I had only just realized how foolish it was to bring Noella with us into Caden's pack. The entire reason we were there was to get weapons, and I couldn't exactly request them in front of her when we were supposed to be finding her father, not planning his murder. I should have left her with the soldiers at the border of Red Moon.

I cleared my throat before saying, "I need... Supplies."

My eyes held his, trying to convey everything my mouth couldn't.

He glanced at Noella, and understanding dawned in his eyes as he turned back to me and nodded.

"I can discuss details with Rowan if you'd like. And I'll even help him load it all up for you. Kyler probably wants to stop in at Sprinkled, no doubt, and I'd never let somebody leave my pack without trying one of Alairia's peppermint cookies."

He directed his words at Noella, and a sad smile played on his lips. My heart twinged.

His mate, Alairia, owned Sprinkled, and after months of trying to gain her affection, he finally gave up. He refused to sever the bond, and she refused to complete it. Nobody knew the real reason except them, but every time I got an inch within the subject, Caden took ten back.