Chapter 15

Noella

We were not leaving this forest. I knew because I had come in here the other way.

We were only going deeper, but I didn't have the heart or voice to speak up and tell him.

Everything he was to me shattered with a single action. He killed that man. I watched the colour leach from Luke's face right before the life drained out of his eyes.

I didn't know how he did it. He didn't even have to touch Luke before his life was forfeited. He didn't have to lift a single finger before Luke was choking on air that wouldn't come.

I was walking behind a cold-blooded murderer.

Snow crunched loud and obnoxious, the constant sound reverberating through my head until all I wanted to do was lie down in a quiet room and never come out. Never have to speak to the man in front of me again.

Too many questions rang in my mind, but I had no idea how to even begin getting answers. I couldn't- wait...

My head was full of questions, snow crunching, and distrust. However, one thing it wasn't full of was pain. The ear-piercing, blind-inducing pain that sliced through my head only hours ago was completely gone, and I had a feeling my father showing up at the same time was not a coincidence.

I stopped walking, planting my feet and crossing my arms before I demanded, "What did you do to me?"

My voice was full of every bit of courage and confidence that I didn't have, but he didn't need to know that.

He turned, his face full of confusion like I was the one who was playing games with him.

"What do you mean?" He asked, and his tone so innocent, so him, that I had to remind myself of what he did only minutes ago.

"Don't act dumb," I said. "Something was wrong with my head. Coincidentally though, as soon as you showed up, my problem was gone. So, I'll ask again, what. Did. You. Do?"

He sighed, and my shoulders dropped at the expression he wore. For all my persistence, I had wanted so badly for him to say it wasn't him.

"I didn't do anything. One of my men put a tracking device in your neck. I had no idea it would cause so much pain, but I'm glad you're feeling better."

I felt faint all of a sudden, my head too heavy, my heart too light as his words rang back and forth in my head.

One of my men.

"You mean the rogues."

It was a statement, not a question, but his nod only made my legs want to give out.

"You weren't supposed to find out this way," he said apologetically, stepping towards me. "I had plans, preparations in order. We were going to-"

"Who are you?" I asked, my eyes burning. "Where's the dad who brought me roses after his business trips? The father who read stories when I couldn't sleep? The man who took care of his kid instead of abandoning her?" My voice broke, but I cleared my throat and kept going. "Why am I looking at a stranger who works with enemies? A stranger who murders innocent people? A man who puts tracking devices in his daughter because he's too lazy to just search for her? Where's my dad?"

"I'm right here, Little Flower."

He tried to grab my shoulders but I sidestepped, my body cringing away from his hands.

"No," I said vehemently. "My father left the minute you decided to dawn this mask. I'm not coming back with you."

The words hurt, the sting of everything I've ever known burning its way up my throat as I silently said goodbye to the only true thing I had left.