Chapter 9

Noella

There was a man standing right in front of us, and then...

Well, then it was a wolf.

It was a man, and then it was a wolf.

But there was just a man there.

It was a wolf now.

A wolf was standing in front of me.

In place of the man.

It was a-

Rough hands whirled my body around.

Deep green eyes stared back at me, concern swirling through them, but that was the only thing I saw before I screwed my eyes shut.

Breathing was becoming unbearably hard as each second passed, and I couldn't stop the stuttered pants that were leaving my lips.

The world shifted, tipping and moving before it stopped again, but my head definitely didn't stop.

It spun, and spun, and spun-

"Open your eyes," A soft voice commanded.

Nixx's words were both soft and rough. Gentle yet stern.

"I promise you are safe. The wolf is gone. Just open your eyes."

I shook my head as my breath became more and more shallow, bordering on nothing at all.

"Why not?" He asked, so, so, gentle. At odds with the gruff man I knew he was.

"It was a man," I whispered. "But then it was a wolf. My head, it's- something is wrong."

Cool hands cupped my flushed cheeks, thumbs ran soothing circles up and down.

"Nothing is wrong, Noella. I can explain everything to you, but I would rather talk to you, not your eyelids."

"What are you saying?" I asked as I slowly opened my eyes.

His green gaze hit me with force, and it shocked air back into my lungs, my chest expanding with my first full breath in minutes. My heart still thudded hard and fast against my ribs, but at least now I could breathe properly.

"I'm saying that what you saw wasn't a trick of your mind." He held my gaze as he added, "It was real."

A huff of laughter escaped me, but he didn't echo it. He looked very, very serious.

"What, exactly, are you saying?" I asked him, trepidation clinging to my words.

He took a deep breath, then explained, "I'm saying that werewolves are real."

I stood so fast my head started to spin again, lightheaded spots crowding my vision.

"Stop it," I said, backing up a couple of steps.

I knew that wolves existed in these woods, but werewolves? Monsters were supposed to live here, not mythical creatures with fangs.

He stood too, slowly, like I was a crazed animal in need of caution.

"You don't have to believe me. You have your proof. Do with it what you will." He ran a hand through his hair before saying, "I get that you may want time to process this, but I think we should get going."

I blinked rapidly, the entire reason for this trip coming back into focus.

"Right," I said, my voice rough. I cleared my throat before adding, "I can, umm, process on the way. Let's go."

He nodded. "I'm here for any questions you have."

I mirrored his movement. "Thank you."

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•