𝟎𝟒𝟒. 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧

𝕬n hour and a half into the 'lake picnic' and June's already argued twice with Trevor

Once because he was being annoyingly insistent about helping Maddie get on-deck and the second time because he tried to whisper yell at her into letting him sit close to his ex-girlfriend.

Suffice to say, she did not let him do anything of the sort.

But it does irritate her how he's acting so entitled to be close to Madeleine when he's the one who dumped her and never told anyone why.

She's all for romance but the last thing she wants to do is make Madeleine feel uncomfortable and betrayed when she, herself, explicitly promised that they'd have a good time.

She's missed her so much and she's not letting anyone ruin the time they're spending together.

Least of all Trevor.

Throwing her head back, June squints up at the sky which is still considerably bright even though evening is quickly approaching.

There's something about long summer days spent with the banter and constant murmur of her friends' voices echoing around her while she relaxes and lets herself breathe, regroup her senses to prepare for the busy months ahead.

She remembers the first time she spent summer with the Hugheses, back when she was nine years old and her mother had refused to let her accompany the family of five on a trip to see their grandparents.

She'd cried so much that week because it was honestly shocking how her mom wouldn't let her go on the trip with them — despite Ellen and Jim's deepest emphasis on the fact that the little Bauer wouldn't be intruding at all and that they were actually really excited to take her along with them and then sulked for the next ten days being passive aggressive towards her mother.

She understands now why her mom didn't want her to go. They'd only known the Hugheses a few months and still, Maureen wasn't sure that they'd be able to take care of her daughter. It was a reasonable concern given that she never let June out of her sight for more than a day.

But then she'd surprised her by enrolling her into a summer camp where all the Hughes brothers were going later that month.

And she'd kind of forgiven her mother after that. Because it had been fun.

And it was also the start of her obsession with Jack.

Tuning back into the moment, June sits up lazily smiling at Maddie who only spares her a friendly glance as she thoughtfully gazes off towards the water.