Chapter 31: Reassurance

After what felt like hours, Maya leapt off her ex's mattress as she smacked her lips and savored the sweet taste of justice. As she towered over her worn down ex, she let off a satisfying sigh of relief from the chance to have an outlet to let out months of pent up anger and frustrations. But she wanted more. In the back of her mind, Maria had a list of people who had wronged her in the past like the mean-spirited football jocks that would routinely catcall her during cheerleading practice, or the creepy gym teacher at school who would hit on her friends. With limitless powers at her finger tips, she could go down her list and enact revenge on everyone and truly make herself the queen bee of Santa Cruz.

However, she felt herself robotically stroll over and kneel herself down in front of Katelyn as she brought her hands to the back of her lush head. Even though Maya had the power of the gods, the two fused masks made her play by Katelyn's rules; whether she liked it or not.

"Wait!" Maya cried out as she felt a stinging sensation run up her scalp. "Please, may I have some more time?"

Katelyn towered over her latin goddess as she looked into Maya's dark emerald puppy dog eyes. It was almost like looking down into an endless emerald abyss that was filled with a jumbled up mess of Maria's emotions and thoughts. She could see little fragments of Maria's inner self begging Katelyn to set her free from the sister mask's control. As she looked into her eyes, Katelyn flashed back to her first few weeks at school when Maria and her posse would sought out and bully her for being the new kid. Soon after she found the mask, her entire life changed. As a goddess, she used the mask's powers to control the ocean for her own personal enjoyment and even save an entire town from a wildfire. And at this very moment, the bullied was now the bully as the balance of power shifted towards Katelyn by making her frenemy subservient to her.

But in a way, she pitied Maria. From what she told her earlier that day, her persona didn't seem to be one out of malice but rather one out of a cry for attention. Once she opened herself up... she was kinda all right. Katelyn suddenly felt a pang of regret wash over her as she thought back on her revenge plan. Even though her scheme went according to plan, she didn't feel okay with pushing Maria's boundaries beyond what she did to poor Danny; at least for tonight.

Katelyn lowered herself to be at eye level from her hispanic celestial being and shook her head; no. Maya's eyes instantly began to tear up as Katelyn reached over with both hands and stroked her slick shoulders. "Maybe next time, okay?"

"Promise...?" Maya asked between her sniffles. Katelyn hesitated for a split second and then nodded back. Maya dried her tears with her hand and suddenly leaned forward and embraced Katelyn right on her lips. Katelyn's entire body shook as she could feel Maya's soft sweet lips pump a stream of emotions into the blonde's consciousness. Katelyn could literally feel a sense of reassurance and joy channel into her as their faces came together for a solid minute. Her eyes grew wide as she felt the same masked lips embrace her just as she embraced her lovers in the past year.

When Maya felt it was time, she leaned back away from Katelyn and lowered her head towards the floor to give her blonde master unencumbered access to her crown. She then felt Katelyn's hands reach into her hair towards a thin crease at the back of her head and braced herself for what was to come. At first, she felt a tingling sensation run along her scalp. But then she was hit with an unbearable streak of pain as Katelyn tore open and exposed the mask's tendrils as she began to pull the clinging green flesh off of her olive skin. Her eyes rolled back into her head as she opened her jaw and let out an inaudible scream. Soon her smooth exterior began to undulate and sag as Katelyn successfully pulled the mask off Maya's scalp. As Katelyn yanked away the rest from the front of her face, Maya felt the mask's grip slip further and further away; draining her of her powers and her strength. Her once full cheeks and perfectly formed face soon wrinkled and hardened while her lush green facade had dulled and turned back into its musty wooden form.