Chapter 9

LEVI: Mama, I could use some help here, tired of talking to myself here. Back at home, you don't exist, so here I am in the abyss, are you really in this place? It's like the emptiness of space, I could search for all eternity and never see your face. Help me out. I'm lost without you, standing, stuck on this impossible road, no idea which way to go. Whichever path I choose, I lose, you know and I don't know which way's home, oh. I don't know which way's home, home. You always saw life as a game, but since you left, it sucks to play. I'm beaten up and bruised, confused by rules that alter every day, where to next? You left but I'm still standing. Spinning on this infinite road, terrified of letting you go. No light above and there's no hope below and I don't know which way's home. Ma, I got my heart in my hand, speak to me and I'll understand. One little word to know I'm not alone and show me the way back home, oh. Is there a way back home? Home. The nothingness ahead of me, is this the end you meant for me? Every living minute, there's no home without you in it. I'm falling, quit stalling, Your daughters are calling your name, I burned all my bridges and games.

CHARLES: Levi! Thank god. C'mon. we have to go home!

LEVI: I don't have a home!

CHARLES: Don't say that. Look, I know things have been difficult-

LEVI: "But we're moving forward!", right? That's your answer for everything! Move forward. Feel nothing. Well you got what you wanted, Dad. An infinite abyss of nothing!

CHARLES: You think this is what I want? I never said-

LEVI: You never say ANYTHING! She was my whole world. And she left us. And you won't even say her name.

CHARLES: Because it hurts too much! (a beat.) She was my world, too Levi. That's why I've been trying so hard to build a new one.

LEVI: But Dad, there's no one in it. We left each other behind. And now we're all alone.

CHARLES: You're right. God, you know, your mother knew this was going to happen. I mean, not this, I don't think anyone could have predicted this. A few nights before she- before the end, Emily took my hand and said, "I know you wanna fix it. But we just have to hold onto each other and live through it." I thought she was talking about us. But she was talking about us.

LEVI: I don't wanna forget about her. I'm so scared I'm going to forget her. Promise me we can talk about her.

CHARLES: Any time you want.

LEVI: (hugging him.) Let's go home.

CHARLES: Those demons with the stupid hair, they'll be waiting for us.

LEVI: I almost feel bad for them.

CHARLES: Why?

LEVI: He's the loneliest guy and she's the loneliest girl I know. (an idea.) And that is exactly how we can beat them. Trust me, it's going to get weird, but it'll work. Let's draw the door.

CHARLES: I just have to get the chalk. I hid it in case that dancing football player caught me. He was fast! So much poise!

LEVI: (sung) I'm gonna go back home. Adam, Barbara, Delia, Maddie, and Dad. It's messy, but they're all that I have, I'll make the best of being flesh and bone. Mama, I'm going home, yeah, Mama, I'm going home, home. I'm going home, Mama, I'm going home.

(Maddie ran towards Levi and Charles. Charles protected Levi as she ran up to them.)

MADDIE: I'm not here to hurt either of you.

CHARLES: Then why are you here?

MADDIE: To talk to Levi and help you both back home.

LEVI: You asked me to marry you!