Chapter 36

Back in the real world, outside Madarame's shack.....

After Mikoto, Morgana and the others leave Madarame's Palace and catch their breaths a little, Mikoto pulls out her phone from her blazer pocket to check it.

“The destination has been deleted.” The robotic female voice said from the Meta-Nav on her phone.

‘Madarame’s Palace is gone, just like how Kamoshida's Palace has disappeared too.’ Mikoto thought to herself with her usual stoic expression on her face as she put her phone back into her blazer pocket.

“It would be bad if people started getting suspicious of us. We should leave at once.”  Morgana says to Mikoto and the others after he popped out of her bag.

“Yeah, we know, Morgana.” Ren said as he nodded to Morgana.

“Yusuke, c'mon.” Ryuji said as he glance at Yusuke (who's holding the painting carefully in his hands and staring at it with sadness and acceptance in his eyes and on his face).

“Right...... Goodbye, Sensei.” Yusuke said as he glanced and nodded to Ryuji before he and the others walked away from the shack and toward the subway station.

XXXX

A few minutes later, in the passageway inside the station…

“I guess the mission was a success. All that's left is to see if he had a change of heart or not.” Ryuji said as he sat down on the floor against the railings next to Ann before he opened a drink can, took a gulp of it and he immediately held the can away with a grimace look on his face.

“Ugh, so bitter….Why'd you get it black?” Ryuji complained.

“The “Sayuri”...” Yusuke whisper as he stared sadly at the painting of his mom and himself when he's still a baby.

“You're not gonna get all teary-eyed and say stuff like “Mom.....!” are you?” Ryuji said as he glanced at Yusuke.

“To think that this painting was the source of Madarame' s distorted desires. The only saving grace is that my mother won't know of what transpired.” Yusuke said as he closed his eyes.

“The genuine painting at his atelier has been altered, after all.” Morgana said sadly to
Yusuke after he popped out of Mikoto's bag.

“Ironic as it may be, this one here is her true self-portrait now.” He added.

“........It's a wonderful painting. And…..although it took some time, it's in your hands now, Yusuke.”  Ann said as she glanced at the painting with a soft smile on her face.

“.....I'm thankful for it.” Yusuke said as he nodded and smiled softly to Ann before a sad look appear on his face.

“However, it's impossible for this painting to be acknowledged by society anymore…..” He added.

“Was Sayuri your mother's name.” Mikoto asked quietly as she glanced at Yusuke with her usual stoic expression on her face and her hands together in a standing position.

“No. I doubt it's the name of any woman in particular. I bet it was to make it look more
mysterious-just a part of Madarame's foolish staging.” Yusuke replied as he shook his head at Mikoto.

“Well, it would've been obvious that he plagiarized it if he had used the real name.” Morgana said.

“So this is my mother……There's no way that I would remember her face clearly........ But I was right about the rush of emotion I felt when I saw this painting.” Yusuke said as he smiled softly at the painting while Ryuji finish his can of bitter coffee, stood up from the ground and walked toward a nearby venting machine to buy a new can of soda (and threw away the empty can of coffee into the dustbin next to the vending machine), came back while taking a long and huge drink of his soda before he burped loudly in front of Ann.