CHAPTER SIX

RED HOOD | BATFAMILY (assorted canon)

────────────────────

Ma. God, no one called you that anymore. The way your eyes begin to prickle is a clear indication.

With you Dick wasn't the type. Once he'd worked himself up to it he'd called you mom; slightly different from the few ways he referred to his bio mother, but something shared between the two of you all the same.

And Tim? Well he wasn't your child plain and simple. Tim still had his parents for one, and for two he was intrinsically Bruce's. By the time he'd figured his way into the Batcave you'd been gone, most of your shit moved out of the manor, and desperately waving divorce papers Bruce refused to acknowledge in the air. You didn't have anything to do with his indoctrination outside of exactly one instance of him finding you to ask if you'd reconsider the separation. Some Batman needed a Robin and Bruce Wayne needed his wife type shit.

Either way Tim didn't call you any rendition of mom because you weren't his. The most you got was him addressing you by your maiden name and then eventually your first and you were content with that.

Then if he didn't call you mom, the girls sure as hell didn't either. Outside of Barbara the others never even became regular conversation partners. Cass was a rare sighting in your life and Stephanie and you's relationship would never progress past the casual advocacy you tried giving her because she was another dead Robin to add to what's now technically a list.

At the end of the day, out of all the people who considered you a mother, only Jason added that 'a' and you wanted to grip that name tight and hold it to you. Break your ribs open and force it into your chest cavity. The need to fulfill that ache cuts deep and you take a step forward.

Jason startles though, undoing all his own forward progress, and you falter. That's right. Jason didn't like for people to touch him. Definitely didn't like hugs either. Not surprise ones at least. Before his death you'd gotten close enough he didn't mind when you swooped in, but now?

"Can I-? Can I hug you?" You press trembling lips together for another horrible swallow. "Please...?"

Jason jerks, two hastily aborted movements at once, before his obstructed voice meets your ears.

"Fine."

You practically fall on him before pulling him into you. Unfortunately he's just as stiff as his voice and you have to take a second to figure out how to slot against him.