TWELVE

episode three;
DEAD MEN'S SECRETS

episode three;DEAD MEN'S SECRETS

HONORA AND JACK hadn't even walked into the operating theatre when they were stopped. Hetty, with a wide smile on her face, hurried them into the middle of the hall. While Hetty wasn't an angry person, Honora had grown to know her as someone who didn't walk around with a recognisable smile. To be greeted with one by the woman had definitely grasped her attention.

Jack thought the same. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked.

Hetty let out a sarcastic spurt of laughter. "Fantastic. It's your little friend in there, Charlie. He's awake!"

Honora widened her eyes, not saying a word as she rushed past the nurse. However, Hetty grabbed her forearm to pull her back.

"What?" Honora questioned impatiently, yet her words remained heartfelt. "I wish to see him. He could have died. I thought he was already dying."

Jack spared her a sympathetic glance, nibbling on his lower lip. He reached out, but instead of letting his hand hover above the surface of her tense skin as he always did, he let it fall and land on her shoulder. He gently ran his thumb over her arm in a circular motion, feeling the muscles beneath slowly unravel.

"He fell asleep. He's exhausted, the poor thing, but he's a fighter. Say, did you spray that acid you'd been testing all day on his leg, Nora?" Hetty pondered. She crossed her fingers behind her back, silently hoping.

Honora furrowed her brows, yet nodded. "Yeah, just before I left. Why?" Her eyes widened, her cheeks brightening and puffing out. She didn't even let the nurse answer. "Oh my . . . did it work? Is the infection gone?"

Hetty slowly let her smile twist into a knowing smirk. "Completely. It's as if the infection was never there in the first place."

"Are you kidding?" Jack asked as Honora stood, lips parted in utter shock and disbelief.