TWENTY EIGHT

episode seven;
WET LETTUCE

episode seven;WET LETTUCE

FOLLOWING FAGIN WAS never a bright idea. Considering what had happened the last time Honora and Jack had chased after the man's footsteps, they really shouldn't have done it again. Yet, there they were. One step after the other, trailing behind a nervously grinning bearded man who Jack should've left to struggle in the Chain Gang.

"Really, Dodge. You didn't ought to come," Fagin mumbled beneath his breath.

Jack clenched his jaw. "I don't trust you," he said, his arm wrapping around Honora's waist. "So, get on with it."

Fagin rolled his eyes and trudged on.

"I don't understand what could be so important," Honora muttered with narrowed eyes. "I've never heard you be quite so urgent."

Fagin clicked his tongue as he pulled at the collar of his shirt. "Nothing to worry about, dear. It'll only take a moment."

Jack and Honora shared a look. He rubbed a gentle circle over Honora's back, his touch lighting flames that travelled like shockwaves through her body. She smiled, kissing his cheek lightly, before Fagin led them down a corner and they stopped. Some quicker than others.

"What the hell is this," Jack exasperated. He looked at Fagin, ignoring the man leaning against the brick wall in front of them. Honora stared, emotions flashing across her eyes quicker than anyone could catch them, including herself.

Fagin laid a hand on his shoulder, his sight straying to the woman beside him. "Well, Dodge, you see . . . our acquisitions unfortunately cross paths."

Honora felt the world closing in on her. Anger thrashed at her heart, begging her to step forward and shove the man further into the wall. Maybe punch his nose, make sure it's broken, and slam his head against the bricks so a never ending headache etches itself into his brain. It might knock some sense into him too, considering he needs it.