TWENTY NINE

episode seven;
WET LETTUCE

episode seven;WET LETTUCE

HER HEART WAS beating again. Everyone left, her blood dripping from their hands. She watched it trickle down their knuckles from her place on the floor, shoved into the cold and damp corner, while they slammed the door behind them. The entire wall shuddered at the intensity of the force. Her eyes slowly dropped, eyelids drifting shut. No, she tried. Wake up. And then darkness fell.

Honora clicked her tongue as she turned the page of her book, the paper feeling soft and light between her nimble fingers. The words danced across the page, her eyes scrambling to pick them up. She shuffled in her seat, the wooden bench not doing her comfort much justice, while pushing the purple strap of her dress further up her shoulder.

Everyone was inside preparing for the dinner. Honora-Rue had got in early, Winona helping her style her dress like always, before she resorted to some last minute peace outside with the gentle chirp of the hummingbirds in the front garden. Just before the world fell away again, the woman immersing herself completely into the paragraphs on the paper, someone cleared their throat.

Honora looked up boredly, but her annoyance quickly faded away. "Jack?" She almost gasped. She left her book on the bench, standing up so fast she almost wobbled in her heels. "What are you doing here?"

He chuckled at her surprise. "I got invited," he shrugged as he slowly stepped closer. "People love me, Rue. Is that such a surprise?"

She shook her head in amusement as he finally grew close enough to touch her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, leaning her head against his shoulder as he pulled her close. "You look beautiful," he whispered into her ear, his hair brushing gently against her cheek. "As always. But exceptionally beautiful today."